Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Plymouth Fury (Christine)

TheCat

Here's Christine in all her fame and glory. Just don't get her angry. :unsure:

Film FACTS:

Although advertised as a Fury, Christine retained more features common to that of a '58 Belvedere than anything else. Exterior-wise, Christine didn't bare the trademark '58 Fury Buckskin Beige paint nor the gold anodized aluminum side trim and grille.

So, I built this kit by using the AMT 58 Belvedere and colored it exactly to the films car. This was a interesting kit to build. Once she was built, strange things started to happen. :D

58_Plymouth_Fury-00-m.JPG

58_Plymouth_Fury-02-m.JPG

58_Plymouth_Fury-04-m.JPG

58_Plymouth_Fury-05-m.JPG

That is really nice...very clean build. I have that kit....one of these days I may get to it, but in the mean time I'll just look at yours....very nice, you know, that move sure had a huge influence on that kit, I'll bet that 95% of all builds of that car are red. I promise, if and when I do mine, it will not be red. :D

Sweet ride! How did you color the huge side moldings? They look like Metalizer Aluminum.

Hi Steve - I actually used Bare Metal. And did each panel individually. Then I painted the centers of each panel with flat Aluminum to make it look like the real car.

• 10 months later...

Wow! This kit is so hard to find here - and you built a awsome Christine! Very, very, very clean. You can be proud of this peace of Moviehistory, that you built. Looks absolutly great! If you have no space at home for "her", you can send it to me.

Love it!

One of my all-time favorites. Beautiful work. Some cool info:

• Year: 1958 (most of the in-shot cars used were '58s...)
  • Make: PLYMOUTH
  • Model: FURY
  • Stock: 12116
  • Engine Size: DUAL QUAD V-8
  • Transmission: AUTOMATIC
  • Exterior Color: BLOOD RED
  • Interior Color: WHITE / RED (some interiors were also white/black and red/black)

The custom color that was used in the films was actually called "Blood Red". From what I researched on this matter, Carpenter wanted a rich dark red that would be as "workable" with the camera by day as well as night, so they came up with this color. Although several Furies were used and subsequently sacrificed for the movie, most of the cars were actually Belvederes and Savoys modified into Fury-lookalikes.

Where did you get that awesome deep red color from? I have to build this beast when I get my workshop put back together.

Edited by Drake69