Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 Le Mans winning GT40

Sport Suburban

Here is a quick build of a Fujimi GT40 MKII. This is of course the LE Mans Winning 66 car. I plan to build all three from that race and have the kits. The Fujimi kits decals are really bad so I used decals from Renessance Models and they are great but expensive. I messed up my first paint job and had to strip it and start again. I know it is way to shiny for a race car but I just love it. I did finish a second GT40 this last year and will post that one soon as well.

66 Le Mans GT40 #2 A.JPG

66 Le Mans GT40 #2 B.JPG

66 Le Mans GT40 #2 C.JPG

66 Le Mans GT40 #2 D.JPG

66 Le Mans GT40 #2 G.JPG

BeautifulĀ Ā 

I like the additional silver fern there.Ā  Ā Ā 

Edit #2Ā I'm a clueless nut.Ā Ā 

Did some looking up, from the book GT40 "The car was done up in the NZ sporting colors of black and silver and the crew had even painted a fern and the initials NZ on the side of the car." - Chris AmonĀ Ā 

Ā It's not 'additional' after all.Ā  Learned somethin new I guess.

Edited by Top.Secret

9 hours ago, Top.Secret said:

BeautifulĀ Ā 

I like the additional silver fern there.Ā  Ā Ā 

Edit #2Ā I'm a clueless nut.Ā Ā 

Did some looking up, from the book GT40 "The car was done up in the NZ sporting colors of black and silver and the crew had even painted a fern and the initials NZ on the side of the car." - Chris AmonĀ Ā 

Ā It's not 'additional' after all.Ā  Learned somethin new I guess.

So did I, It was on the new decal sheet but not on any others that I had seen. In some of the old photos it is hard to see.

Even though I'm not that much of a Circle Track guy, these old Ford GT40s are cool cars. And your build is definitely one of the cleanest that I've seen. My hat is off for that flawless black paint job, and overall a very nice and clean work...As always.

Note that the car (1048) does NOT have a "Gurney bubble" on the RH door in 1966, but does later. 1046 was used again in 1967 and had numerous changes done after the LeMans win. very nice model, well done! And Fujimi did miss the "NZ Fern Leaf" on the decal sheet!