Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hot Rod Primer

Growing up in the early sixties in Tucson Arizona there was a thing called "Hot Rod Primer".

This was a medium to dark gray dull primer. When you saw it on a car you knew it was a "Hot Rod" 

It was even marketed in stores and labeled as "Hot Rod Primer".

Almost as ubiquitous as the STP sticker Related imageWhich, by the way, was worth 5 mph :P

IMG_1227.jpgImage result for hot rod primer paint

1932-Ford-matte-grey-lime-sy.jpg

flat_black.jpg

Joe-Sams-coupe.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers
  • Like 1

Pactra used to have a Hot Rod Primer color in both rattlecan and bottle. It was a very dark gray that was also used by aircraft/armor modelers for things like worn tires.

Today, Walmart's cheap flat black is a very, very dark gray that might work well for Hot Rod Primer.

For various gray primers, I've used Model Master 36231 Dark Gull Gray (close to the '32 roadster above), 36118 Gunship Gray (not far from the 2LB '55 Chevy), and Euro I Gray. The famous and beloved Plastikote T235 is very close to Gunship Gray. Tamiya has a Panzer Gray that's kinda dark.

I've also done a couple models in Model Master Black Chrome Trim as a satin black primer. It's easy to use and looks great in the role.

5 hours ago, mr moto said:

Duplicolor makes Hot Rod Primer. I use it all the time and it seems to be a perfect match for the old Pactra product (I still have a bottle).

Yes, the Duplicolor Hot Rod Primer is nice stuff. It comes in a spray can, so if you airbrush you'll have to decant, but the color is right.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Remember back in the mid 2000s or so when it seemed like about every hot rod was black primer, gray primer or possibly red oxide primer?  With red wheels and possibly a Mexican blanket interior?  

I kinda liked that trend…I didn’t care for the skulls and cobwebs 

(just a random thought I had, that wasn’t worth a new thread of it’s own)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Remember back in the mid 2000s or so when it seemed like about every hot rod was black primer, gray primer or possibly red oxide primer?  With red wheels and possibly a Mexican blanket interior?  

I kinda liked that trend…I didn’t care for the skulls and cobwebs 

(just a random thought I had, that wasn’t worth a new thread of it’s own)

Yes, and actually I really like cars in primer.  A primered car is a blank template. The possibilities are endless. Once you paint a car it defines that car and some folks will like it, and others, not so much.

I used to go to the John Deere dealer and buy Blitz Black tractor paint for my cars. (Technically not hot rod primer but it had the look.)

P1030661.JPG

• Like 1

The primer style finish on 1:1 cars seems to have come and gone and returned over time. I think Gary's suggestion of using JD Blitz Black may be the most durable over time, but for many of us it was a financial decision based on the availability of funds. I remember a couple of personal vehicles that were done in the driveway with good old Krylon paint and some adult beverages. As for the modeling world, a resent build to replicate a car from the late '50's and early '60's using Tamiya TS-66 IJN Gray. This gave me the color and finish I wanted for this build but suggest sealing it with a flat clear more to protect the paint than to change the shade of the color. 

IMG_1819 (2).jpg

• Like 3