Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/20 Red Bull RB6

Rich Chernosky

A recent completion. Another one for the 1/20 F-1 case. This is Tamiya's 1/20 Red Bull RB6. This is the car that took Sebastion Vettel to his first world championship. Color is Tamiya TS89 Pearl Blue. Kit is all box stock. Many many decals and this took the longest part of this build. The nose in particular was quite troublesome. Tamiay TS-47 Chrome Yellow was a close match for the yellow but not when they were laid side by side. Had to do some major touch up on the nose to get it to look right. In retrospect i should have cut the two bulls away from the decal and painted all the yellow. Would have saved me some trouble. I normally paint the graphics rather than use large decals as they tend to wrinkle. And this kit was a decal nightmare as it was. Wheels are Alclad hi shine aluminium. Overall I am pleased with he result. The Red Bull paint scheme is rather striking.  Comments welcome.  Thanks...Rich

DSC06415.JPG.d03f6e08d49b9ca489b64f1863d5c014.JPGSeat belts came with the kit. 

DSC06413.JPG

DSC06412.JPG

DSC06414.JPG

This is a beautiful model. You did a great job building it. Speaking about the nose, I wished I had molded the front piece to the rest of the assembly as I was disappointed at obvious the seam was and do not remember any mention in the instructions. I built mine with the Haynes manual as a reference and before I attended the 2013 US GP in Austin.

3 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Rich it looks great indeed as the others have said.  The decals look spot on.  Did the carbon fiber come with the kit?  Looks like it could have been a challenge too.

Gary...the CF did come with the kit and it was indeed a challenge. The front piece wrapped around the chassis and looked like wrinkle city.  But some solvent, heat and a lot of patience and it all laid out smooth.  Note the caption under the 1rst pic. Thanks...it was easy