Model Cars Magazine Forum

Range Rover Police

This is my Italeri Range Rover Police also known as a "jam sandwich".  It is painted with Tamiya TS-26 Pure White with a Tamiya Light Grey interior.  I added a resin 2-way radio with a whip antenna.  The first picture is with the lightbar I prefer.

RRP30.JPG

RRP25.JPG

RRP26.JPG

RRP27.JPG

RRP28.JPG

RRP29.JPG

Edited by mrmike

You nailed this one Mike. Yes they were all know as a jam sandwich. I had a few run ins with them in my youth lol.

Its a real pity (as many will say) that more British stuff isnt made. I would love to see a Ford Granada mk1, which would make the ideal car to accompany your Range Rover.

MW52%20001.jpg

Thank you Steve!  It was pointed out to me that the windows were not mounted correctly since I have mis-interpeted the instructions and I went and corrected that issue.  But, in order to fix the windows, I had to remove the chassis and I corrected another issue that had been bugging me...the front of the body doesn't sit correctly on the chassis.  The dash sits too high and lowering the dash required more surgery to the bottom of the dash and the center console.  It opened up a can of worms that I didn't want to deal with, but I corrected that issue.  Now to clean up the mess I created...

On 6/28/2019 at 10:35 AM, mrmike said:

It was pointed out to me that the windows were not mounted correctly since I have mis-interpeted the instructions and I went and corrected that issue.  But, in order to fix the windows, I had to remove the chassis and I corrected another issue that had been bugging me...the front of the body doesn't sit correctly on the chassis.  The dash sits too high and lowering the dash required more surgery to the bottom of the dash and the center console.  It opened up a can of worms that I didn't want to deal with, but I corrected that issue.  Now to clean up the mess I created...

Hey, it's not about how you screwed up, it's all about how you recovered!    And you learned something in the process!   Great model!

Thank you Tom and Lee!  

Tom, I did learn something about this mess I had created.  Slow down and CAREFULLY read the instructions.  I think I may have gotten cocky with this build since I built the Ford Transit Mk. II by Italeri.

Thank you Peter!  Overall, it really not a bad build, but some things could be a little clearer on the instructions.  My research didn't include the 2-way radio, so I put one in anyway.  I built both lightbars and left them loose on the model so I can swap them if I feel the need for a change.

• 1 month later...

Well, the Range Rover Police is back on the bench!  I would like to take this to the Classic Plastic Model Exhibition on October 6, but this Range Rover needs additional work!  The body needs to be cleaned up and the windows are a real pain.

Edited by mrmike

• 2 weeks later...

I have finished my Range Rover Police...again!  I have decided to add a short back story to this model since it fought me tooth and nail to the finish!  The windows went back in from the inside like it should.  I was going to install them from the outside, but I decided to clean up to openings and the windows too.  I clearcoated the body with Tamiya TS-13 Gloss Clear and after I found all kinds of tiny dark spots in the clear.  I tried to touchup the decals that chipped with orange paint which didn't match 100%, but was kind of close.  I added another antenna to the roof in front of the lightbar which is bent on one side and the 2-way radio was moved higher on the dash so it could be seen better.  The front license plate is bent due to a front end collision from an attempted PIT maneuver.  

The back story...this Range Rover is a Police vehicle that has reached the end of its service life and soon will be replace by another Police vehicle.

RRP48.JPG

RRP49.JPG

RRP50.JPG

RRP51.JPG

RRP52.JPG