Model Cars Magazine Forum

57 Chevy Black Widow

Modlbldr

So, I am close enough to finished with this one to confidently state that I will finish it before the year is out. I wanted to get it done tonight but I realized that I left the radiator and wall at work today. I won't get back to it until Thursday. That being said, I decided not to push forward and decal this tonight. Here is where it stands now.

I tubbed the rear end using the 1/24 scale Max Rat Chevelle parts and a set of wheels from the parts box. It also has exhaust made from parts box mufflers and plastic and aluminum tubing. Brake booster and reservoir is from a scrap Viper. Other than that it is right out of the box with a bit of engine wiring. I will get more (and better) pics when it gets the decals. Trying to decide if I want to use the racing number (87) decals from the kit on the doors. Probably not.

Later-

IMG_20191225_000808992.jpg

IMG_20191225_000902168.jpg

IMG_20191225_001222133.jpg

IMG_20191225_000533544.jpg

IMG_20191225_001057997_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191225_001132181_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191225_001145507.jpg

14 minutes ago, espo said:

Great looking little '57. With the Pro Street vibe I would pass on the door numbers, but it is your build after all. On the light bar in the grill, are you going to use the Chevrolet emblem decal ? 

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing regarding the numbers. I don't believe I will be using them. I will be using the decal for the grill. I have 9 decals to place. That's why I didn't do the dealing last night. It was already midnight by that point.

Later-

2 minutes ago, Modlbldr said:

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing regarding the numbers. I don't believe I will be using them. I will be using the decal for the grill. I have 9 decals to place. That's why I didn't do the dealing last night. It was already midnight by that point.

Later-

9 Decals ?  Do you prefer to not clear over your decals ?   Good to wait until you're well rested before doing decals since there is a lot that can go wrong with that. A suggestion to consider on the grill emblem. You may already be doing this so forgive me if you already have a technique you prefer. I'll use a #11 blade to remove the chrome plating only in the area that the decal is going. With the decal trimmed to where there is no extra decal film place it in the grill inset with a touch of Solvaset. Dab it dry with a paper towel. After it is completely dry lightly brush a drop of Tamiya X-22 Clear, when it dries it will look like the clear plastic cover on the 1:1 emblem.    

Thanks guys.

espo- usually I do clearcoat over the decals but this time since the decals are so small (mostly just badging) I thought that I would brush a small thing coat of Future over them. Other than the scraping of the chrome off of the front emblem my procedure is just the same as you described.

38 minutes ago, Sam I Am said:

"Other than that it is right out of the box"

?

Lol! Thanks for the laugh Buddy. I wrote that line first and then afterwards remembered little things I had added, so I listed them. I guess it wasn't quite "out of the box" 

PS- I also added PE front brake rotors and a pin for a floor shifter.......and.....and....

Later-