Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell ‘29 Model A Roadster

BeakDoc

After some initial test fittings and then seeing one buuilt here on the forums. It looks like the '32 chassis from this kit works REAL nicely under the AMT '32 Vicky, at least in the channeled configuration that I was looking at. A highboy, the chassis from the deuce kit's might be better. I'll try that out soon.

Images comparing the AMT and Revell '29A bodies.

Like most of you, had it been my choice I would have retained the stock rear wheel openings.  In fact, this was the first thing I noticed when Revell sent me the first round test shots in February, 2014.  I never got an entirely clear explanation, but my takeaway was two points.  In the early 2000's, there were several high end hot rod builds that moved the rear fender openings upward, and this may have influenced the project.   Second, I suspect there was a desire for the opening to match up with the locations of the rear tire OD in both the Highboy and Channeled build versions.  

As for the firewalls on both the '29A Roadster and '30A Coupe, my understanding is that there were two different positions here - the desire of the kit designer to be true to the 1.1 scale original, vs. the desire of the kitmaker to retain the possibility of the addition of hoods to future kit updates.  In this case the kitmaker had the final decision.  Again, not the choice I would have made, but in comparison to how much good there is in these kits, really it is a minor nit.   

Comparison photos for your viewing follow below.  

DSC 0550DSC 0549DSC 0548DSC 0551DSC 0552DSC 0553DSC 0547

TIM

1 minute ago, afx said:

I'm not a '29 expert by any stretch but it appears Revell got the shape rear deck right compared to the AMT.

I can hear Harry's voice arguing "you can't directly compare a model and a real car that way.." ?

But I agree, the "trunk" area of the Revell body appears to be much truer to the real thing.

If I was going to build a "dream model A roadster" I'd cut the AMT and Revell bodies about 1cm behind the doors...and splice the AMT front and the Revell rear together. The wheel arches could stay raised, especially if I was building a contemporary retro-styled "America's Most Beautiful Roadster" sort of project. Otherwise, I'd have to lower the wheel arches. I know the wheel arch rib stampings are inverted on the AMT body, but that's one detail that I barely care about, considering the wheels largely hide them!

Then I'd throw a flat panel behind the butchered Revell cowl/doors and make a ratty RPU or modified out of it.

This kit is a kit-bashing dream, regardless of any quibbles I have with it. I only have one, and I'm kinda hoarding it until I can get another to actually build.

4 hours ago, afx said:

I'm not a '29 expert by any stretch but it appears Revell got the shape of the rear deck right compared to the AMT.

Correct, and I went into that in a build thread where I was starting my rendition of the Eddie Dye roadster. As the proportions and lines of that particular car are, to me, perfect, and as I'm very critical of shapes and volumes, I took rather a lot of time analyzing both AMT and Revell shells.

Unfortunately, the Revell shell has a very heavy and toylike rendition of the stamped lines in the sides, and the carriage lines in the cowl-side area.

As the Dye car has the rear wheel openings entirely filled, and the cowl side area smoothed, along with the doors welded shut and smoothed, Revell's more correct rendition of the rear profile a better starting point. The top of the wheel arch can be brought down without too much trouble, and the heavy character lines can be easily removed and replaced with scale-correct half-round stock.

ed%20dye%20prof_zpsbferjdn0.jpg

On 3/23/2020 at 6:39 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

And I think there are plenty of people who would love a more traditional rear, but until Revell decides that this is worth doing,  they are still selling their nicely detailed '48 Ford.  You can cut the rear crossmember out of that, and you also have that very nice torque tube rear, a detailed flathead,  backing plates for the wheels, and various vintage parts to dress up your traditional ride.  It's as close to a traditional hot rod parts pack as you are likely to see.

A few years back I back dated the chassis to a traditional 1940's era by installing the frame center "X" and rear cross member from a Revell 1940 Ford and the rear axle from one of their 1948 Fords. Well, a bit over-simplified but not difficult to accomplish.

DSCN4241-vi.jpg

DSCN4201-vi.jpg

DSCN4218-vi.jpg

On 3/24/2020 at 11:27 PM, Dennis Lacy said:

A few years back I back dated the chassis to a traditional 1940's era by installing the frame center "X" and rear cross member from a Revell 1940 Ford and the rear axle from one of their 1948 Fords. Well, a bit over-simplified but not difficult to accomplish.

DSCN4241-vi.jpg

DSCN4201-vi.jpg

DSCN4218-vi.jpg

I always love seeing your work. Your builds are to hot rods what Steve Boutte's builds are to customs. Almost inhumanly good!

18 hours ago, Metaldrumm said:

Got it for 20$ scale hobbyist ,can't beat that ,great kit many parts and options.

That’s a good deal - I wonder if they sold out already?  I couldn’t even see it on their site when I searched just now.

Surprised no one on Amazon is selling these yet...I’ve got a gift voucher burning a hole in my pocket since Christmas! ? 

5 hours ago, CabDriver said:

That’s a good deal - I wonder if they sold out already?  I couldn’t even see it on their site when I searched just now.

Surprised no one on Amazon is selling these yet...I’ve got a gift voucher burning a hole in my pocket since Christmas! ? 

Yea they are on there but it's on backorder already, high demand for this kit?

6 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Amazon said they weren't going to accept stocking of anything that wasn't deemed as "essential" until this situation resolves.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/31/2020 at 4:31 AM, niteowl7710 said:

Amazon said they weren't going to accept stocking of anything that wasn't deemed as "essential" until this situation resolves.

Doesn’t stop one of their sellers listing them though, which happened - just ordered mine!

Curious to see if the 5.0 Mustang engine from the Deuce kits will drop in there nicely so I can run a Ford in a Ford...and presumably if it fits without too much trouble then the other engines from the 32s will too!  Would be cool to mix and match parts from the two series of kits!

On 4/23/2020 at 10:39 PM, CabDriver said:

Doesn’t stop one of their sellers listing them though, which happened - just ordered mine!

Curious to see if the 5.0 Mustang engine from the Deuce kits will drop in there nicely so I can run a Ford in a Ford...and presumably if it fits without too much trouble then the other engines from the 32s will too!  Would be cool to mix and match parts from the two series of kits!

It should fit Jim. 

On 2/11/2020 at 4:45 PM, Plowboy said:

I don't like the headers that are on the SBC engine. They have that goofy looking whoop in rear most pipes. The first roadster didn't have that with the Buick engine. I don't understand why the Chevy engine had to. I know on the left side it's to clear the steering shaft. But, it doesn't make sense on the right side. To me, this is one instance where a set of rams horn manifolds would look better. I have all the roadsters I need. But, when/if the '30 coupe comes out, I'll have to snag a couple of them.

The headers from the Rat Roaster '32 roadster would be perfect for a no hood version but if you want to do the work to go the full hood version the block hugger headers from the AMT street rod '55-'57 Chevy pickups would work good.

On 2/12/2020 at 6:08 AM, tim boyd said:

Here is a full and detailed review of the kit and its contents, for those of you who are not already familiar with the kit and its contents.     

This review was based on the original (c. 2015) release, and the suggested retail price of the kit was also from 2015.  

As noted above, the new kit is identical to the one in the review above except that it swaps in the SBC Chevy from the Revell 1930 Model A Coupe in place of the earlier Nailhead V8, it adds the optional Halibrand Wheels from the '30 Coupe kit, it has new (although similarly configured to the original ki) decals, and new box art.  

Recommend you use the "Roll" feature at the link to quickly review the images and the captions that go with them.  

Hope this helps.   

TIM 

DSC 0487

PS - the Nailhead V8 is planned to return for the upcoming reissue of the '30 Five Window Coupe version of the tool......TB 

It'd sure be great for those of us who build vintage dirt race cars or an occasional track roadster if Revell would offer these tires and the Halibrand wheels in a tire package like AMT has done, and it would REALLY be sweet if they did a set of these tires that fit the wheels in the Edmunds Super Modified kit. And even better if they put them in the kit instead of the old street rod tires.

Edited by horsepower
Ooopsie

6 hours ago, horsepower said:

It'd sure be great for those of us who build vintage dirt race cars or an occasional track roadster if Revell would offer these tires and the Halibrand wheels in a tire package like AMT has done, and it would REALLY be sweet if they did a set of these tires that fit the wheels in the Edmunds Super Modified kit. And even better if they put them in the kit instead of the old street rod tires.

I could go for that.  For that matter, if they offered the big and little tires and steel wheels combo in their own pack, I'd buy a bunch of those.  I've already purchased a few packs of the AMT tires for various things.

I just read this new thread about the reissue and what I noticed is one thing no one mentioned. In all the different releases of the Revell Deuces - 6 in total, we have 4 different engines with even more induction options, a variety of wheels/tires options, two different top hoods, three different side hoods options and cool variety of decals. And then they released the '29 Roadster and the '30 coupe with the same lame@$$ rear end! If these kits are 9 out of 10 now, a simple Paddy Wagon-borrowed quick change center section (with or without the buggy spring) would have given them a perfect ten. 

Maybe, the guys on here that perhapsally (it's a word invented by little kid ;) ) have a piece of Revell's ear, can still make this happen for the upcoming '30 reissue. 

6 hours ago, mrm said:

I just read this new thread about the reissue and what I noticed is one thing no one mentioned. In all the different releases of the Revell Deuces - 6 in total, we have 4 different engines with even more induction options, a variety of wheels/tires options, two different top hoods, three different side hoods options and cool variety of decals. And then they released the '29 Roadster and the '30 coupe with the same lame@$$ rear end! If these kits are 9 out of 10 now, a simple Paddy Wagon-borrowed quick change center section (with or without the buggy spring) would have given them a perfect ten. 

If people hadn’t noticed, Revell’s plan was to create modern quality tools of popular iconic cars we would buy and build over and over.

The whole idea of the 1932 series was to create a big set of parts to mix and match to be able to build many different cars. And the series probably wasn’t done yet!

The Model A series was to be a follow up to this and the whole series of events around the bankruptcy of Hobbico threw a wrench into that.  

No doubt there were more versions planned.. for instance the second frame and things like the excellent fuel tank and battery that got hidden in the sealed roadster trunk. There had to be plans for an open trunk in a future version. 

We will see what the future brings. Fortunately Ed is still involved for some continuity, but we  have a new parent company to convince to invest. Now  throw in the worldwide pandemic and financial effects!

Edited by Tom Geiger