Model Cars Magazine Forum

Patina’d 34 Ford shop truck

I’d been wanted to build an AMT/Lindberg 34 Ford for a while, and also on my list of to-builds this year was something patina’d and some sort of hot rod shop truck.  So, killed three birds at once and built this! ?

Used a eBay gluebomber as a starting point, and tried to stick mostly to the stock variation of the kit’s building options, but with some little extras for my own amusement.  Did a bunch of weathering with pastels and watercolors along with the salt technique for almost all the painted bits, built some better detailed interior parts, made a replacement bed from NYPD traffic barriers (an easy to find source of ‘free’ wood in NYC) and did a couple of little tweaks to the overall look to get what I had in mind for this one.

Super fun build - just thinking of starting another variation on this kit, in fact...but man was my bench a mess after this was finished ?

Thanks for looking!

4A281902-0BDB-4274-A1A7-60E59B636341.jpeg

DA64876F-C4F0-4632-892E-AECF7681D2FA.jpeg

F10B9984-5373-45C9-A6EF-9DF5672E0D93.jpeg

DBFCD8D5-70EE-4367-9DA8-4A9153B2FF7C.jpeg

7F707ACF-3483-4EEF-8D9E-63416886EE4D.jpeg

756C16E3-D397-4384-A445-73FE0FF1C623.jpeg

C3843111-263A-4FE4-866D-6EE950E4B345.jpeg

ECB52C8A-F953-4D15-9FF0-2AD1FCE395BB.jpeg

Edited by CabDriver

13 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I’d been wanted to build an AMT/Lindberg 34 Ford for a while, and also on my list of to-builds this year was something patina’d and some sort of hot rod shop truck.  So, killed three birds at once and built this! ?

Used a eBay gluebomber as a starting point, and tried to stick mostly to the stock variation of the kit’s building options, but with some little extras for my own amusement.  Did a bunch of weathering with pastels and watercolors along with the salt technique for almost all the painted bits, built some better detailed interior parts, made a replacement bed from NYPD traffic barriers (an easy to find source of ‘free’ wood in NYC) and did a couple of little tweaks to the overall look to get what I had in mind for this one.

Super fun build - just thinking of starting another variation on this kit, in fact...but man was my bench a mess after this was finished ?

Thanks for looking!

4A281902-0BDB-4274-A1A7-60E59B636341.jpeg

Love it!

The weathering and rot on this truck are incredibly well done and I like all the creative touches light the bed floor planks and taillight. I love all of the extra (missing) details you added the cab inside and out. I also really dig the shiny yellow wheels and whitewalls against the beater body. I can imagine the wheels and tires they found it with were far beyond usable and probably mis-matched so a fresh set were in order. 

Now for the friendly critique: As awesome as the detailed inner doors that you made are, the added thickness is clearly keeping the cab from sitting down over the floor like its supposed to and its causing the truck to look awkward. Correcting that would only make a great model even greater.