Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell's Chevy Luv rerelease

I built this one to look like the box but without the canopy and at a little lower stance. This kit is pretty awesome actually and I really enjoyed how it went together, other than the cab and box fitting onto the frame, there was a little tweaking that needed to be done there.

Full build on my YouTube Channel. 

IMG_20201126_160308_1.jpg.f14233ad59316794f868c6e732fa7b40.jpg

IMG_20201126_160315_1.jpg.a015e2cee9d60be52b707c5c5748d011.jpg

IMG_20201126_160348_1.jpg.38659901f91746b4c29010d171418959.jpg

IMG_20201126_160424_1.jpg.2f7a69aff8f739c7dcb54dfa7dd04a86.jpg

IMG_20201126_160503_1.jpg.646051dcf5be5ed0dc2a1f30a9efc332.jpg

IMG_20201126_160517_1.jpg.5bf3ab63b4160939f0aaf35cd84320ba.jpg

https://youtu.be/5SJsO5Nn9ao

Edited by VanSpence

19 hours ago, cobraman said:

I like it !  Are you hiding something under that bed cover ?

Nope, nothing under there except for empty bed. 

17 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking LUV and I like the Mikado trim. I was wondering about the bed cover also. Was this in the kit or did you do something else ?? What about the rear fender flares or is that just the way it photographed ? 

I made the cover from tissue paper and glue. Back in the day tonneau covers had these bars across to help keep the rain from pooling and getting heavy. That is what is replicated here, those bars. 

I didn't do any mods to the body so the flares are essentially just right from the box. The kit is supposed to sit a lot higher and the offset for the wheels would normally be a little further out but I had to tuck the wheels to get them to fit low. 

Hope that helps. 

11 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

Thank you. 

3 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

Nice stance, looks good!

Nice and low!! ?

2 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Nice!!

Thanks

On 12/7/2020 at 9:32 AM, Plowboy said:

This is cool looking little Luv truck! The lowered stance makes all the difference! Is the upside down front bumper intentional or ?

OMG I had no idea. I had to go and look at the box when I read this. Really made me laugh out loud. I serious thought it went on that way. Rarely when I build do I use the instructions so somethings things like this happen. It looked right so I figured it was right. 

21 hours ago, youpey said:

did you find the plastic to be really soft?

No more than usual for styrene. Nothing complicated to work with. I did find it a hassle trying to put the body to frame and the box to frame because you have to bend out the body to get it to fit. 

8 hours ago, Painted Black said:

Cool truck. The upside down bumper makes a big difference in the look!!

Haha.. See above reply. I had no idea. Lol. I got lucky and it kinda worked. 

5 hours ago, VanSpence said:

.... I got lucky and it kinda worked. 

I owned a '73 back in high school, and disliked the thin front bumper so much that I swapped it out for the much taller '77 bumper with the integral turnsignals in it. I should have stolen your accidental idea because it does actually work and makes the truck look a bit tougher.

Edited by Russell C
typo

On 12/8/2020 at 10:17 PM, Russell C said:

I owned a '73 back in high school, and disliked the thin front bumper so much that I swapped it out for the much taller '77 bumper with the integral turnsignals in it. I should have stolen your accidental idea because it does actually work and makes the truck look a bit tougher.

I wonder if you could actually flip it all on the full size... Interesting. 

On 12/9/2020 at 3:15 AM, KWT said:

Awesome job...

Thank you. 

On 12/9/2020 at 9:20 AM, Jonathan said:

I think it looks great - the flipped bumper and lowered stance really set it off.  

Great minds, haha

img-9530_orig.jpg

I love it. I was very back and forth on the canopy but eventually felt the stepped version wouldn't look as good on the super low look as it does on the regular height. Canopies are hard to come by. Hate to not use them. ?

On 12/10/2020 at 1:31 PM, Spottedlaurel said:

Nicely done Spence.

I'd like to find myself one of these, but they're not so common here. I did manage to recently get hold of an old release of the Monogram stepside version.

I got mine from then US and then not even a month later they showed up at several Canadian retailers. I could have saved myself some money. Haha. I am sure importing them anywhere else would be costly. Shame as it is a pretty fun kit to build. 

On 12/10/2020 at 5:44 PM, slusher said:

Looks fantastic...

Thank you. 

6 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Well done. If this kit could be built stock I'd get one.

If you shaved down the fenders and found some steels for it you could get super close. Of course the engine would be wrong but you could do curbside and do a simple stock exhaust. I think it is doable with a little extra work.