Model Cars Magazine Forum

*Painting Molded in Windshield Wipers*

When it comes to getting the windshield wipers chrome and looking good it's always a struggle for me. I initally used a silver Sharpi then switched to the Molotow chrom pen.  The trouble with these two ways is I can only get the top of the wipers and then it tends to bleed down on the sides of the wipers and doesn't look good.  I haven't tried bmf yet as I've been having issues with it not wanted to stick all the great.  What are you guys and gals doing for the wipers on your builds?

Pic #2.jpg

I have the same issues. Tried Molotow with same issue as you. Too afraid to try and do sides. Used a Sharpy metallic, which is better regarding runoff, but not real chromy. Also tried foil, which was too difficult for me (shakey). Been thinking next time I may just do in flat black, with dry brush, which is more realistic anyway.

I've been using a silver sharpie, but with my shaky hands it does not look too good. I think it's the right shade because I have not seen too many in real life that are a bright chrome anyway. 

Bob, that engine bay looks great. What size wires did you use for the battery cables and heater hoses?

1 hour ago, bluestringer said:

I've been using a silver sharpie, but with my shaky hands it does not look too good. I think it's the right shade because I have not seen too many in real life that are a bright chrome anyway. 

Bob, that engine bay looks great. What size wires did you use for the battery cables and heater hoses?

Thanks James.  The heater hoses are plastic and came with the kit.  For the battery wires I bought some of the old beige phone wire and peeled the insulation off.  There is a red, green, and black wire that seem to be the right size. 

I usually use BMF but there are times that I will use Tamiya bottle paints. A trick I learned from another builder years ago has to do with out lining the area you're going to paint using a #11 blade. This builds a slight stop for the paint flow. I have done this with I have used the Molotow since I have had a hard time controlling it's flow.  The area where the wiper blade bracket and the blade it's self is hard to detail but I have tried using either the Tamiya line paint or the smoke clear and it gives the area a little depth much like the air vents on the cowl area between the windshield and the back edge of the hood.  

For the most visible edge.. the flat front part, I have masked with Tamiya Tape or even just held a piece of card stock against the body as a shield. That works with either the Sharpie or Molotov pens.

I’ve also sanded them off and installed wipers from my parts box or both resin and photoetch wipers exist.  Depends on how important it is to you. 

48 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

For the most visible edge.. the flat front part, I have masked with Tamiya Tape or even just held a piece of card stock against the body as a shield. That works with either the Sharpie or Molotov pens.

I’ve also sanded them off and installed wipers from my parts box or both resin and photoetch wipers exist.  Depends on how important it is to you. 

Thanks Tom.  I like the tape or card stock idea.  

On 8/4/2021 at 8:06 AM, Zippi said:

When it comes to getting the windshield wipers chrome and looking good it's always a struggle for me. I initally used a silver Sharpi then switched to the Molotow chrom pen.  The trouble with these two ways is I can only get the top of the wipers and then it tends to bleed down on the sides of the wipers and doesn't look good.  I haven't tried bmf yet as I've been having issues with it not wanted to stick all the great.  What are you guys and gals doing for the wipers on your builds?

Pic #2.jpg

Hi Bob

Try taking a sharp xacto blade and scribe a parting line along the intersection of the blade and body of the car. The ink can run down the wiper and into the scribed groove without running outside.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rick L said:

Hi Bob

Try taking a sharp xacto blade and scribe a parting line along the intersection of the blade and body of the car. The ink can run down the wiper and into the scribed groove without running outside.

Nice little tip Rick.  Thanks.