Model Cars Magazine Forum

Supernatural Impala

OldTrucker

7 hours ago, espo said:

Interior and chassis look good. What color are you painting the body or are you going with the TV based theme?  

Going with the TV based color. It is my grandson's favorite TV series.

His dad commissioned me for this job.

Think I'll pick one up for myself and maybe do a showroom stock with Rally wheels and maybe try my hand at doing a vinyl roof.

Back in the day used to pick nice looking 67's up from backyards dirt cheap. All most needed was a new cam. Then sell them to the used car lots for a decent profit.

We found one that was a 4 door with a 4 speed!

18 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

Going with the TV based color. It is my grandson's favorite TV series.

His dad commissioned me for this job.

Think I'll pick one up for myself and maybe do a showroom stock with Rally wheels and maybe try my hand at doing a vinyl roof.

Back in the day used to pick nice looking 67's up from backyards dirt cheap. All most needed was a new cam. Then sell them to the used car lots for a decent profit.

We found one that was a 4 door with a 4 speed!

GM had a problem at that time with cams going flat. They replaced the cam and one of the heads on my '68. You mention the 4 speed four door. In '65 I bought a new '66 Impala SS 396 4 speed. I had a customer that came into the station I worked at that also ordered a new '66 Impala four door hardtop as a family car. He ordered it with the same 396 and 4 speed that I had in the SS. A real sleeper. 

5 hours ago, espo said:

GM had a problem at that time with cams going flat. They replaced the cam and one of the heads on my '68. You mention the 4 speed four door. In '65 I bought a new '66 Impala SS 396 4 speed. I had a customer that came into the station I worked at that also ordered a new '66 Impala four door hardtop as a family car. He ordered it with the same 396 and 4 speed that I had in the SS. A real sleeper. 

A friend in high school inherited his mom's 65 Impala 4 door. It was a 409 4 speed car they had ordered new to pull a 35 foot boat. Best yet in Evening Orchid with a white interior!

He still has it but buried in pole barn.

Edited by OldTrucker

14 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

A friend in high school inherited his mom's 65 Impala 4 door. It was a 409 4 speed car they had ordered new to pull a 35 foot boat. Best yet in Evening Orchid with a white interior!

He still has it but buried in pole barn.

Beyond the sentimental value he is wise to have saved this car if nothing else for the unusual drive line. The 409 engine was dropped around the first of 1965 as I recall and was replaced by the 395 engine. The color was a one year deal and I don't think everyone appreciated it as much as they due now. Had I been looking at a '65 I would have wanted that color since it really looked great on these big cars in my mind.