Model Cars Magazine Forum

Milliput putty

I have seen it mentioned a time or few.

But no titled topics for it.

I just picked some up today

Milliput Superfine white.

http://www.milliput.com/prod.htm

From what I have read here so far, White is what ya want.

work_green10.jpg

4 oz (113.4g) pack $13.95

WOW, spendier than I thought.

it is a 2 part molding putty.

Use it just like clay.

Yaaaah.

kneed the 2 parts equally, stick on car and shape.

they did mention keeping what you don't want it to stick to moist like tools and fingers

but shaping it with moist fingers and tools is A Okay.

Anybody have pics on how they used it and how they liked/disliked it?

Can you use it over primer or bare plastic better?

Edited by Zukiholic

I use it for all my body filler and sculpting needs. I can find no reason to use anything else.

It works great right over the bare plastic as long as you have roughed it up a bit. Feathers down perfect too.

Here is a basket case that I used as a basis for a cartoon car.

ToonGS015-vi.jpg

ToonGS001005a-vi.jpg

ToonGS001027a-vi.jpg

I used a lot of the stuff on this project. Only buy the super fine. It's worth the extra bucks.

It will be set up in about 6 hours and you can start sanding in 24. The one thing that you would want to do prior to filling those gaps is to back them with styrene. Any of these A/B type putties is you need to have something for them to build upon. Do any and everything you can do to limit the amount of movement of both sides of the gap or the putty will break away from the surrounding parts.

Milliput comes in several different grades, for our purposes the White Superfine is the best bet.

When I took this model to Complete Games and Hobbies, that is exactly what they recommended and that is exactly what they are holding for me. I hope to pick it up Monday when the weather improves!

They also recommended plastic in between the gaps from which to build upon, so I'll definetly be doing that with a left over plastic for sale sign I've got.

Can I use this stuff to make a rear wing? I need to make something similar to this rear wing. I know, it's not the best view of the wing but it's the only picture I can find of it.

KoenigTestarossaVersionOne.jpg

Sure, you just need to have a "skeleton" made of sheet plastic in the rough shape. It won't hold it's own shape unless something keeps it in place. Apply the putty to the top and the bottom in seperate sessions and shape with sandpaper and files.

Sure, you just need to have a "skeleton" made of sheet plastic in the rough shape. It won't hold it's own shape unless something keeps it in place. Apply the putty to the top and the bottom in seperate sessions and shape with sandpaper and files.

Wouldn't it be better to use sheet styrene for the entire thing? That wing is a symmetrical airfoil with tips turned down. I'd go with styrene and no putty. Just my humble opinion.

Edited by LDO

Guest Davkin

For the gap in the bumper I wouldn't use any putty at all. I'd just fill it with styrene strip and thick CA. I use putty only for major reshaping and sculpting. For filling gaps and minor imperfections I just reach for the thick CA and accelerator. The big plus to that is I don't have to wait for the putty to cure, just dab the CA with accelerator and within ten seconds I can start filing and sanding it.

As for the wing I think I'd just try carving and shaping it out of thick styrene myself. I've never used Milliput but from the descriptions I've read it appears to be very similar to Apoxie Sculpt which is something I have used many times and I wouldn't consider trying to make a wing out of it, even with an "armature". I think carving it out of styrene is the way to go.

David

Can I use this stuff to make a rear wing? I need to make something similar to this rear wing. I know, it's not the best view of the wing but it's the only picture I can find of it.

KoenigTestarossaVersionOne.jpg

that would be pretty easy to make out of a thick styrene sheet as mentioned. hell i made a wing for my camaro out of a formula 1 spoiler :P still need ot do a little sanding, then primer and all that of course.

004-5.jpg

its actually broken in that picture, i need to reinforce the back of it where those two little "posts" go, then it should quit snapping during sanding.