Model Cars Magazine Forum

67 Olds Toronado

Space Cowboy

Anyone on here have the MPC and the Johan versions? I'd love to know how they compare in terms of accuracy, details, etc.

I owned this kit at one time, It's a very nice detailed kit from that era, Now the Toronado kits were made in 1966 and 67 by Johan,And MPC, The 67 I'm not to sure about Johan, The 68's were made by MPC And AMT, I had both versions at one time, The MPC 68 Rear bumper looked wrong to me, The AMT was spot on,As it was actually a Johan mold, In 69 Johan was the only one that made year, In 1970 AMT Made the Toronado, Later to be reissued by Johan in the USA Oldies series, Johan and AMT shared the molds for aloy of the 1970 Production year, The AMX,442,And Toronado were actually Johan molds, I may have missed afew others , In 1971 and 72 The Toronado kits were Johan kits. So the Johan/Amt Toronado kits were Spot on, The MPC Kits looked simaler, But the 1968 Toronado rear bumper was alittle off, To be fully accurate replace that part with the Johan/AMT part, And it fixed the problem, But all of the Toronado,And Eldorado kits From all 3 Companys in the 60's and 70's were excellent kits, And had higly detailed engine compartments at the time they were made. I'll be watching this one for sure,I personally would paint this car "Ocean Mist" With a matching interior, That is the same color as Artisian Turquoise, I think you can still find that color online on E-BAY, Or Model Empire, I found 2 Cans of the testors Fathom Green on ebay ,So that paint is still out there, Thats just a suggestion on the color Space. But that would be different , You see alot of these done in your basic Reds,Black,And the Light Metallic Golds,The proper name for the light metallic gold is, Sandalwood Gold Metallic. But any color would look great on this car. Just so you know, the engine in this car isn't red, I believe they were gold, Or a Color called "Rame" Metallic, That is a reddish bronze color. I'm waiting to see the progress ,And will be watching this one closely. B) Edited by spkgibson

I had the Johan 66 back in 1966. I mail ordered it from Auto World because no hobby shops around here had one. I made it box stock, painted white with a light blue interior. It was one of my favorite models. I gave it away to a kid in 1971 when I got married, left home, and was not building model cars anymore. Stupid move! Shoulda kept it. I had the MPC 67 too. I shortened it down to a customized two seater, kinda like an AMX. Another stupid move - pretty much ruined it!

Sam

This is the one I'm going to build.

67toronado-416.jpg

I crawled all over this one (with the owner's permission) at Carlisle several years ago. This has to be the best looking version of this car I have ever seen. I have all of the available Jo Han, AMT, and MPC Toronado kits from the 1966 through 1972 era. Those cars just are so cool.

I'll be watching this one as I have a mint AMT version of this kit, but I've been too chicken to start it. I've always LOVED the styling of this car and it was one of Bill Mitchell's greatest designs! This goes to show that a FWD car CAN be styled to look great, and NOT have the goofy proportions that I see on way too many FWD cars today.

My Uncle once had a '66 Toro-------white with a maroon interior IIRC. I thought it was one of the coolest cars on the road back when he had it!

The Tornado model I have has the cornering lights(thanks guys for the correction)at the bottom of the frt.fenders and believe it to be an MPC??? but not sure. My first real 1 to 1 car was a 72 Tornado would be cool to find one to build as my first car sometime...it was like a forest green with a tan vinyl top and interior,455cid.V-8 would run! B) If anyone has an extra hood,cornering lamps,taillights and wheel covers for a 67 I could used them(I know off topic sorry)Mark :P

Edited by disabled modeler

Is this the colour you mean Steve?

141_4186-vi.jpg

This color is darker the the color ,The color is alot lighter then yours,I was referring to the 1966, I forgot this is a 1967, That color was called Aquamarine,I painted a 67 Impala that color, And it looked perfect on that car, I wish I would have kept that model, One of my friends begged me for it after I had it painted, So I just gave it to him to build, It was almost the same shade as the color I mentioned in my post , By the way, I like that color alot Steve, Please share who makes it, Nice job Space on the pattern change. I'm still watching the progress on this one. That engine photo is of the "Super Jet" 425 Olds engine, 1968 Was the first year for the 455 in these cars, Those were Red. Edited by spkgibson

Hey Ron how would you like that one in your driveway....Well this kit was far from being a complete kit I got some Toronado parts from a friend. I had to change the pattern on the front seat....

000_8967.jpg

000_8968.jpg

000_8969.jpg

000_8970.jpg

000_8971.jpg

More coming soon......................

You're getting there, Bruce. When I do mine, I am going to fab a set of headrests too.

67toronado-115.jpg

67toronado-119.jpg