Model Cars Magazine Forum

Seems strange that pretty much everything else in the drivetrain is available but drive shafts. Hey resin casters, this seems to be a natural to add.

Speaking for myself (as a caster) drive shafts in that scale are not easy to get a usable cast. Out of a half dozen attempts you might get one usable piece which makes the proposition financially unsound. This is the same reason you don't see resin cast antennae. Then there's the fact that you would have to package a few together to justify pricing.

NOW- this does not mean that a caster with a fresh supply of resin and silicone won't give it a try ( ;) ). I've been fairly successful with small parts including the "rubber duck" from Convoy, roll bar lights for the Batmobile and other tiny parts, so I'm reasonably sure I could pull it off, but then we get back to the financial thing. Let me experiment a little and if I find I can do it without losing $ I'll add some to my list. :)

I see them on a lot of trucks cube vans tractor trailers all the time

You can usually see them pretty easily on 4wd trucks with solid front axles too. Those are different style of u-joints, but might still be made visible within the C's and knuckles in 1/25 on a stock height truck. My stock height XJ Cherokee's are visible and easily seen from the front.........especially when you know where to look ;) Edited by Joe Handley

I did get my wanted U joints from Crazy Jim . Excellent for me . Not so much for he as these are small intense pieces . I am needing these for the Lindbergh / Pyro Cord kit . It is a dog I am converting into a silk purse . This detail helps . I'll see them as to answer a question posted here , Art . Flip the model over and BOOM .. 'der itis ! ... lol .. I always did get to see the parts of every Car in my life . Some of these were not for "Public View " .. lol .. And a Big Thanx to you Jim ..

• 5 years later...
4 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I wonder if, in the time since this thread was last updated, anyone has started making any nice universal joints in metal or 3D?   I'd be really interested in seeing scratchbuilt examples too, if anyone has ever made their own?

There are some available on Shapeways by Down Range Productions.

I removed this some time ago from a Franklin mint  1:24 scale Mercedes 300 SLR race car.  Just for fun, I could try to make a mold.  It does not look too complicated.  These might be a bit too big for a 1:25 scale car but great for a car or a truck build

u joint 1.JPG

Edited by Greg Wann

22 hours ago, Greg Wann said:

I am planning to offer them.  I'm not really liking my first mold attempt though.  I am thinking about another way to make a mold.

I think $18.00 for the number of them you get is not too bad of a deal.

Actually yeah, you're right - that was unfair of me.

What I meant was closer to "I need a pair of these and don't wanna buy $18s worth right now" ?