Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building a 6.7 cummins: Almost done

I built a one-off inline six engine for my fast and furious 67 chevy truck (see my other thread) and was asked to build a cummins for another member of the forum so I decided to post a thread on the build.

I started by asking another member for some dimensions (thank you scale auto style). I then cut several rectangles of the thickest plastic sheeting I have and laminated them together until I reached the desired thickness.

DSCN3525.jpg

for the oil pan flange, I used a thin sheet of styrene cut to size. I then laminated several thicker pieces on top of this to create the basic shape of the oil pan which will be shaped with a dremel tool and file.

DSCN3534.jpg

I finished all of the basic shaping on the block. It just needs the head and valve cover to be made and placed on. All the engraving I did with my dremel tool, file, and knife.

DSCN3544.jpg

DSCN3546.jpg

STewart

Edited by stewart

I'm guessing this will be for a newer Dodge pickup project? Very nice so far! It would be a shame if you don't have it molded and cast once the master is finished! I can put you in touch with the guy that casts all my masters if your interested?

• 3 weeks later...

I have completed the basic block and most of the engine front and pulleys. Now I am starting to work on the turbo, exhaust, and intake setup along with all the rest of the things.

The engine front is just from sheet styrene, and the pulleys are from the parts box. I used Pro Tech photoetched bolt heads and a Detail master photo etch piece from their engine detail set for the oil fill cap.

DSCN3561.jpg

DSCN3562.jpg

DSCN3564.jpg

You can see the beginnings of an exhaust manifold in the previous and next pictures.

DSCN3563.jpg

DSCN3565.jpg

STewart

Working on the fuel injection system. I made the fuel log, the fuel pump, and filter. Now I just need to finish wiring them all and make the ECM. After that is done, all I have to do is to finish the turbo plumbing, the air intake, the intercooler, and the oil and power steering pumps. As soon as all that is complete, I am going to take it apart and send it to Alan from Ma's resin to be cast. If anyone is interested, contact me.

STewart

DSCN3574.jpg

DSCN3575.jpg

DSCN3576.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have mostly completed the engine. All it needs now is the wiring to and from the oil filter and pump, a few more pulleys on the front, an oil pump, and a power steering pump. I have disassembled the engine to send to Alan at Ma's Resin for casting. Here are the pics.

exhaust manifold on top, the mostly completed intake manifold on the bottom

DSCN3619.jpg

The engine front with alternator and bracket, and most of the pulleys.

DSCN3620.jpg

(on top) The fuel pump Fuel filter

(bottom) fuel line connector oil filter Fuel pump

DSCN3621.jpg

Engine block with cylinder head in place

DSCN3622.jpg

Valve Cover

DSCN3623.jpg

Twin turbos

DSCN3625.jpg

STewart

Edited by stewart

• 2 weeks later...

The Engine is Completely finished!!! Now I just have to finish making the instructions and I can send it to Alan for Resin Casting. Here are the pics. I put the engine together to take pics and then I am going to take it apart to send to alan. The tranny is from an F-350 dually, the pulleys are from the parts box as is the power steering reservoir and alternator. Everything else is scratch built.

STewart

P1030272.jpg

P1030273.jpg

P1030275.jpg

P1030278.jpg

P1030280.jpg

P1030282.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...