Model Cars Magazine Forum

Words/Phrases You're Sick Of Hearing?

Snake45

And then there's "baited breath" used incorrectly for "bated breath".

To wait with "bated breath" uses a shortened version of "abated" (which simply means "stopped"), so the meaning is to hold one's breath while waiting.

"Baited breath", on the other hand, means you've been eating worms to try to attract fish by breathing on the water. ;)

Hello? It means you've burned your bridges behind you with problems ahead that could ruin your future.

I'm not too worried, no one is in a position to create any "problems" for me regarding my livelihood.

And then there's "baited breath" used incorrectly for "bated breath".

To wait with "bated breath" uses a shortened version of "abated" (which simply means "stopped"), so the meaning is to hold one's breath while waiting.

"Baited breath", on the other hand, means you've been eating worms to try to attract fish by breathing on the water. ;)

Well, I learned something new today, thanks!

Practically every-thing with "Pre" in its preface :

- Pre-owned ( ostentatious way of saying "used" )

- Pre-approved ( really ?? You've got some documents that are already filled out for me to just sign ? )

- Pre-heat ( to paraphrase George Carlin : "How does one 'pre-heat' an oven ?" )

Another fun one is "Organic __________ " . Really ,now ... how many inorganic things does one actually encounter ?

Then there's the beauty of the English language : every-thing is possessive ! For example :

- "Did you change your oil yet?"

- "Unclog my drain."

- "There's dirt on your windshield ."

- Your team sucks this year !"

Small wonder as to why English is so difficult a language for non-English speakers to grasp ! Kudos to those of you --many members of this forum for instance-- for your practise of English ! I can only imagine what you've gone through to wrap your mind around its structure and possessiveness ! Ha ha ha .

How did you forget "pre-planning"? Is there any other kind? Has anyone ever done post-planning on a project?

And you reminded me: hot water heater. Who needs to heat hot water? It's a water heater.

And OJT Training and ATM machine.

And DEE-fense, as used in sports. Nowhere else in the language is the word pronounced that way. Ever hear anyone talk about the DEE-partment of DEE-fense? Of course not. They'd sound like a moron.

And "equally as." Equally means "as," so using them together is redundant and sounds stupid.

And "step foot." The correct expression is "set foot," as in "I'll never set foot in that joint again." Setting foot is stepping, so "step foot" sounds moronic.

How did you forget "pre-planning"? Is there any other kind? Has anyone ever done post-planning on a project?

And you reminded me: hot water heater. Who needs to heat hot water? It's a water heater.

And OJT Training and ATM machine.

And DEE-fense, as used in sports. Nowhere else in the language is the word pronounced that way. Ever hear anyone talk about the DEE-partment of DEE-fense? Of course not. They'd sound like a moron.

And "equally as." Equally means "as," so using them together is redundant and sounds stupid.

And "step foot." The correct expression is "set foot," as in "I'll never set foot in that joint again." Setting foot is stepping, so "step foot" sounds moronic.

Those are some great ones , Snake !  "Pre-Planning" , indeed ! Ha ha ha .

Another colloquialism pertains to fuel economy : "I'll bet that your Cummins pickup gets crappy gas mileage !" . Well , actually , it doesn't use any gas !

Speaking of "DEE-fense" : I've long used the British spelling of defence (along with other "alternate" spellings)  . Why ? Just to be different I suppose ;).

Yes, it's called the "Lessons Learned" meeting.  That's where everyone points fingers at each other for the screw ups.  No lessons are actually learned since they'll make the same mistakes on the next project!

My wifes friend said that she was going home to un-thaw some hamburger for dinner , I asked if they ate frozen hamburger often ? She replied NO that's why I'm un-thawing it !:wacko:

Regarding the removal of bones from chicken or fish, does one bone it or debone it? 

Yes, it's called the "Lessons Learned" meeting.  That's where everyone points fingers at each other for the screw ups.  No lessons are actually learned since they'll make the same mistakes on the next project!

When I worked in construction, there were five stages to a project:

-Anticipation (while preparing the bid)

-Apprehension (after submitting the bid)

-Search for the guilty (when the bid turned out to be too low)

-Punishment of the innocent (when it was realized that the screwup was made by someone's relative)

-Accolades for the uninvolved

I wouldn't say I'm sick of it, but I've noticed lately that just about every interview with a hockey player uses the word "obviously" at least twice.

"Well, obviously that was a hard game..."

"Obviously we didn't get the puck in the zone like we wanted..."

Could almost turn it into a drinking game.