Model Cars Magazine Forum

Words/Phrases You're Sick Of Hearing?

Snake45

Only in countries that don't have more than three consecutive consonants in their names. In those that do, it is considered a prearranged marriage..

this is going sideways real fast... [stepping away from the keyboard]

• 3 weeks later...

One I can't stand is "join the club"!! Especially when used by someone with a long history of poor financial planning skills towards someone who is known to be financially responsible, when the latter has just explained to the former that they have decided not to spend any money unnecessarily for a while! I really have no intention of joining anyone's "broke club"!

• 4 weeks later...

Irregardless. It's not a word.

"Ask your doctor about..." why is your doctor withholding information? 

"Tell your doctor if you're pregnant" Shouldn't your doctor know this?

"Have you or a loved oned been injured or died..."

It really bugs me to hear a newscaster say "preciate it". Stop being cute & give me the news please.

Irregardless. It's not a word.

Irregardles of the fact that the word is in the dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless ) , I don't like it either.

It really bugs me to hear a newscaster say "preciate it". Stop being cute & give me the news please.

I never heard that phrase, and I don't even know in what context it would  be used.

Probably been mentioned before, but "needs used" or "needs folded" or "needs washed" should really be "needs TO BE used" etc. 

It's common usage now, and just like "irregardless", it's still considered "non-standard". It grates on the nerves of anyone who uses the language a lot and tries to use it right.

"Prolly" for "probably" and "dizzy" for "distributor" really bug me too, but I guess those extra syllables can be just SO tiring to have to deal with, and after all, like, everyone else says it. Doing what everyone else does is always cool, right?

Baaaa baaaa.  F16Alob.png

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

It's short for I appreciate it. I most often hear it used on NNN, the Non News Network. 

Ah, that explains why I haven't encountered that phrase.

I don't know if I already mentioned this earlier in the thread but I hate when "ask" is used instead of "question".  For example, someone says "What is the ask?", instead of saying "What is the question?".  Or "The ask is..." Instead of "I would like to ask you...". That really gets under my skin (coming from my manager during company meetings).

Ah, that explains why I haven't encountered that phrase.

I don't know if I already mentioned this earlier in the thread but I hate when "ask" is used instead of "question".  For example, someone says "What is the ask?", instead of saying "What is the question?".  Or "The ask is..." Instead of "I would like to ask you...". That really gets under my skin (coming from my manager during company meetings).

"They" can kiss my ask.

I just love to hear office twinks using phrases like "war room" to describe their highly 'stressful' workplaces, too.

WAR room? Really? Ever seen war up close and personal?

It doesn't have much in common with a day spent sitting on your butt, yapping on the phone and staring at a monitor while you drink bottled sparkling water and lattes.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I just love to hear office twinks using phrases like "war room" to describe their highly 'stressful' workplaces, too.

WAR room? Really? Ever seen war up close and personal?

It doesn't have much in common with a day spent sitting on your butt, yapping on the phone and staring at a monitor while you drink bottled sparkling water and lattes.

It's a lot tougher than you think to avoid the low-hanging fruit and opening the kimono while you're thinking outside the box and shifting the paradigm.

It's a lot tougher than you think to avoid the low-hanging fruit and opening the kimono while you're thinking outside the box and shifting the paradigm.

"Opening the kimono"? That's a new one on me.

I work in an office of 80-90% women, some of them fairly attractive. How do I introduce this delightful phrase into my workplace?

Especially when you're wearing a 75 foot long scarf and bedbug-incubating ski cap in July because it's, like yah, all about form over substance. Like, where's the K-Y Jelly, maaaan? I can't get my legs into my girlfriend's skinny jeans! I gotta dress for a major pow-wow at the big chief's wigwam.