Model Cars Magazine Forum

Priming under vinyl dye?

My educated guess is that you'll probably need a primer on some styrene parts, probably not on others.

I've used these vinyl dyes extensively in the 1:1 world, as well as on flexible parts for models.

The carrier solvents must be pretty hot, because the seem to penetrate flexible materials very well, and stick like there's no tomorrow.

Hot solvents mean the dyes MAY be likely to craze styrene...especially the soft carp many recent kits are molded from.

As the Snake says, please TEST, and let us know your findings.

....! I will do a "spoon test" as soon as I get the dye...

Spoon tests are fine for testing colors and coverage. BUT...you NEED to test the product ON THE PLASTIC THE ACTUAL MODEL IS MADE FROM.

I can't overemphasize this. The plastic that many kits are being made of these days has much LESS SOLVENT RESISTANCE that hard styrene spoons.

That means it might not craze a spoon, but may absolutely RUIN the surface of a model.

TEST ON PARTS OF THE MODEL THAT WON'T SHOW, ON THE MODEL YOU WANT TO USE THE STUFF ON.

• 1 month later...

spoontest_001.thumb.JPG.e0044e538649b6a6

spoontest_002.thumb.JPG.b4a941314a6309c8

Finally got a can of the vinyl dye, wanted to show you guys how it looks...... the left spoon was primed, the right one wasn't. It has a deeper color that's hard to get in pics, but in person the primed spoon is a rich ox blood color.......... it also has the sheen that vinyl or leather would have........ :)

Spoon tests are fine for testing colors and coverage. BUT...you NEED to test the product ON THE PLASTIC THE ACTUAL MODEL IS MADE FROM.

I can't overemphasize this. The plastic that many kits are being made of these days has much LESS SOLVENT RESISTANCE that hard styrene spoons.

That means it might not craze a spoon, but may absolutely RUIN the surface of a model.

TEST ON PARTS OF THE MODEL THAT WON'T SHOW, ON THE MODEL YOU WANT TO USE THE STUFF ON.

I might suggest testing on some pieces of sprue from the kit you will be using this dye on, just to be sure of compatibility.