Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Mod Rod Review

Dave Darby

I am working right now on a rod project using the more recent Mod Rod kit.  I had never looked at the 2015ish reissue.refresh all that closely, but I have recently and it is pretty amazing how much of the original AlaKart kit content resurfaced here.  And turns out with just a relatively few changes it can construct a really sharp traditional rod of its own.  Proof of that statement to come, hopefully sooner than later....tB 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Chris V said:

I can add, that the chopped and plated Ala Kart windshield frame from the Mod Rod is a very nice looking upgrade for hot rodding the AMT/MPC 1929 Ford Roadster Pickup.

Looks great on the Roadster as well.

20210920_164021-vi.jpg

20210924_180214-vi.jpg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Chris V said:

I can add, that the chopped and plated Ala Kart windshield frame from the Mod Rod is a very nice looking upgrade for hot rodding the AMT/MPC 1929 Ford Roadster Pickup.

Thanks, didn't know that part was in there.

On 8/5/2024 at 3:06 PM, tim boyd said:

What Dave said.  I did exactly the same on my first ever '29A/'32 highboy kitbash built back in 1974-5....TB 

DSC 1032

You squeezed the Ala Kart interior in quite nicely too. That's a neat rodney!

On 8/5/2024 at 10:06 PM, tim boyd said:

What Dave said.  I did exactly the same on my first ever '29A/'32 highboy kitbash built back in 1974-5....TB 

DSC 1032

Wow for a 40 year old model it still looks great Tim, nice carpet too!

• Like 1

Update: The Fotki page with the review was missing several photos, due to a membership glitch, where Fotki deleted some of my photos off of their servers. I just restored all of the missing photos. If you look at the top right of the parts layout in this photo, you will see the tree with the blower parts that Lesney added to the A-Venger. This is where the Ala Kart nose piece and the tonneau cover resided in the tool. That's why those parts have never returned. See my Vintage Workbench column in Model Cars magazine issue #216 for a full review and history of this kit.

spacer.png

Edited by Dave Darby
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2024 at 8:41 PM, tim boyd said:

I am working right now on a rod project using the more recent Mod Rod kit.  I had never looked at the 2015ish reissue all that closely, but I have recently, and it is pretty amazing how much of the original AlaKart kit content resurfaced here.  And turns out with just a relatively few changes it can construct a really sharp traditional rod of its own.  Proof of that statement to come, hopefully sooner than later....TB 

Project mentioned above is just about done, but not without some strange twists and turns....a planned 20 hour project is now at 39.5 hours and still not quite finished....and thanks Dave for updating your Fotki album on the kit...TB 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 3

On 8/3/2024 at 10:48 AM, Mark said:

The hood sides don't flow into the headlamp pods on the grille shell as they should.  The engine is also a bit oversized.

I watched a YouTube video of a ride inside the real Ala Kart, and at one point, the camera focused on the hood/nose interface. It's not a straight interface. The old tool kit is fairly accurate there. Modelhaus Tires has a nice pair of whitewalls based off the rare old AMT "implement" tires that can give you that rake. 

15 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Project mentioned above is just about done, but not without some strange twists and turns....a planned 20 hour project is now at 39.5 hours and still not quite finished....and thanks Dave for updating your Fotki album on the kit...TB 

I'm looking forward to seeing it! 

On 9/6/2016 at 3:29 AM, oldscool said:

There is a decent Hilborn injection setup in the Double Dragster kit as well.

Yes and it's a pretty good set, but I was thinking Street use and the ones in the '53 pickup have a pair of finned (billet?) air cleaners for them. Or you can punch a screen for each one from fine screen from scale railroad supplies and then just use a rounded piece of rod to add a curve to them before choosing to paint them or not.