Model Cars Magazine Forum

gauge lenses over decals - epoxy or Testors clear cement

My preferred lens maker is either Microsol's Krystal Klear or Zap Formula 550 canopy glue.  Both are water based and go on white and dry clear.  You can also make them dome up just a little so they look like an old style lens.   

Try one of the UV light setting glues like "Laser Bond".

It works fantastic!

squeeze a little directly from the tube onto your gauge face, make sure there are no bubbles & zap it with the light &, viola! instant lenses.

I used it for my '69 Coronet & it worked better than I could have imagined.

Steve

DSCN5419

I have used just two different products. #1 Tamiya clear and #2 Future. I find myself using future more and more now. The Future is a little "thinner" and flows a little better. I also use it for head light lenses and tail light lenses also.

I have used just two different products. #1 Tamiya clear and #2 Future. I find myself using future more and more now. The Future is a little "thinner" and flows a little better. I also use it for head light lenses and tail light lenses also.

But aren't lenses over the gauges supposed to look like they are some distance from the gauge face decal?  The clear coat needs to have some thickness to it.  That is why things like white glue or UV-curable clear resins are often used.

But aren't lenses over the gauges supposed to look like they are some distance from the gauge face decal?  The clear coat needs to have some thickness to it.  That is why things like white glue or UV-curable clear resins are often used.

Usually the gauges on a models dash has a raised molding into which the decal is set. I'll do any detailing of the surrounding area before I set the decals. After the decals have dried, usually over night, I'll then use which every product to basically fill the gauge face and then allow to dry. The reason I prefer the Future product is that it will tend to dip toward the center of the gauge after drying. This gives the illusion of a curved gauge face. Like the many other products mentioned here it also keeps the decal in place for many years since the decals will often not fully bond to say a chromed surface.