Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gluing acrylic rod to resin?

I'm working on a Sci-Fi project.  It's a resin laser pistol from the 1980's TV show V.  This is made from a mold of a screen used prop.

I sprayed a couple of light coats of Duplicolor Filler primer on and it didn't stick too well.  It could have been some mold release still on the resin.

I used a toothbrush and some 91% Isopropyl Alcohol to remove the primer.  The clear acrylic rod at the top came loose from the resin.  It doesn't go too far into the resin so I can get glue inside.

What glue works on acrylic?  I also need something that'll stick to the resin.  

IMG_7271 Small b.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

I only have a small space to work with and there is only a small amount of flex to the resin to pull the rod out.  I have to glue one side at a time.  I can't fully remove the rod to roughen it.  The rod is rounded and a bit rough where it gets inserted into the resin.   

I found this Loctite Epoxy online.  It says it's for all all types of plastic(PVC, polycarbonate, acrylic, ABS, FRP, Nylon, Mylar, Delrin, phenolic, aluminum and stainless steel).

I'm thinking this will work better than regular epoxy.

epxy_plstc_s.png

I have Surehold Plastic Surgery Super Glue.  Ir works on most plastic including acrylic.  It might be too brittle like most CA glue and fog the clear acrylic.  I can tape over the acrylic which should protect it from the vapor as it's curing.

619pJ9OP3IL._SL1280_.jpg

On 4/4/2018 at 12:18 PM, crowe-t said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Super Glue will most likely fog the clear rod.

NOT if you get, and use the excellent CA glue accelerator from Bob Smith Models (available in most hobby shop RC departments, as well as online from Bob Smith Models, and Great Planes or Horizon Hobby).  The big plus?  This stuff has no adverse reaction to raw styrene, nor any sort of paint I've ever used on a model project.

Art

Edited by Art Anderson