Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 1/2 (?) Camaro concept - Pro-Touring experiment

Claude Thibodeau

8 hours ago, Mr. Turbo said:

Awesome work, lots of fun ideas in there.  Like someone let Franco Sbarro near a Camaro!  Reminds me of his 1983 Golf Turbo where the body pivots up to access the rear engine.

Thank you JJ! 

I have not seen that Golf you are taking about, but I take your word for it. 

CT

• 1 year later...
On 8/2/2020 at 12:40 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis!

Thanks for the comments.

However, as much as I would like to claim "paternity" for the concept, I was actually inspired by a picture in a very old issue of SAE, A gentleman from England, I think is name was Terry Ross (not certain, I'm sorry) used the same architecture on a very contemporary 52 Chevy coupe. I was impressed, and stuck the clipped picture over my bench, until the time came to do something unusual with a Camaro. Turned-out satisfactory I guess!

Hope we have a show this coming october, if de gods of Covid allow it!

CT

Yes Claude it was Terry Ross who built the 52, yellow with convex shaped wheels iirc.  He also built a white 41 Willys Sedan phantom and a wild Pro Mod 54 Chevy sedan delivery called Crown Jewel Hauler or something like that.  If you google “Terry Ross speed still” there is a video featuring, I believe, the very guy of which we speak.  I have one of the video guy’s sculptures called Big Dude Biker.  This photo I found online was easier than digging mine out of my mom’s basement!  Most of my models and such have been boxed up since my divorce and when I get my own place they will ride the shelves again!

Anyhow everyone else’s comments have covered all my opinions of your project but I will add that it drops my jaw.  I love what I call a “sick” build and yours is as sick as it gets.  I love all your builds.

Keep warm in the Great White North brother. -Mark

26F92019-9956-4BE3-BB31-BDD4B0267988.jpeg

2 hours ago, ybsluos said:

Yes Claude it was Terry Ross who built the 52, yellow with convex shaped wheels iirc.  He also built a white 41 Willys Sedan phantom and a wild Pro Mod 54 Chevy sedan delivery called Crown Jewel Hauler or something like that.  If you google “Terry Ross speed still” there is a video featuring, I believe, the very guy of which we speak.  I have one of the video guy’s sculptures called Big Dude Biker.  This photo I found online was easier than digging mine out of my mom’s basement!  Most of my models and such have been boxed up since my divorce and when I get my own place they will ride the shelves again!

Anyhow everyone else’s comments have covered all my opinions of your project but I will add that it drops my jaw.  I love what I call a “sick” build and yours is as sick as it gets.  I love all your builds.

terry ross used to write the small talk (models) section in the original uk street machine mag for around ten years. He competed a lot in the usa too. I've got one of his ceramic vw buses in a similar style to the bike. unfortunatelly he stopped doing his ceramics except for commisions, after having all his designs ripped off in the early naughties

7 hours ago, ybsluos said:

Hi Mark!

Thanks for the update. I will definetely check it out. I'm a fan of Mr. Ross creations, so...

CT

Not always easy to turn those crazy ideas rolling around in one's wild imaginations into reality....your 69 1/2 (?) Camaro is - very cool, magnificent and the execution is perfect!!!  Now you've pushed me to post my '63 /'67 Stingray Restomod. Not as technically precise or as good as your work, but it challenged me and made me a better modeler....and I am still learning. The creativity, freedom and fun I get out of this modeling passion is what keeps me going! Thanks for sharing...

12 hours ago, stitchdup said:

terry ross used to write the small talk (models) section in the original uk street machine mag for around ten years. He competed a lot in the usa too. I've got one of his ceramic vw buses in a similar style to the bike. unfortunatelly he stopped doing his ceramics except for commisions, after having all his designs ripped off in the early naughties

12 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Les,  thank you for the info. I’m sorry someone ripped him off.  Not cool.   Happy modeling my friend.- Mark

22 hours ago, Lobo2me said:

Not always easy to turn those crazy ideas rolling around in one's wild imaginations into reality....your 69 1/2 (?) Camaro is - very cool, magnificent and the execution is perfect!!!  Now you've pushed me to post my '63 /'67 Stingray Restomod. Not as technically precise or as good as your work, but it challenged me and made me a better modeler....and I am still learning. The creativity, freedom and fun I get out of this modeling passion is what keeps me going! Thanks for sharing...

Hi Steve!

Well, if that ultimately challenges you to do MORE scale modeling, who's to complain? 

So much styrene, so little time...

CT 

• Thanks 1