Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recently Round 2/Polar Lights brought an all new model of the Galileo Shuttlecraft from Star Trek TOS. Naturally, I had to pick one up. But, I had never built the original TOS Galileo that AMT came out with back in 1975. So I decided I wanted to build the old kit, before tackling the new one. 

Now, I knew ahead of time, everything that was wrong about AMT's old shuttlecraft kit. And for those reasons Round 2 has never reissued it, and instead tooled up a new one. But still  it's part of Star Trek and modeling history, and I've wanting to build one since it first came out back in '75. A local St. Paul hobby shop, Scale Model Supplies, still had a couple of AMT/Ertl's last reissue in stock. Last released back in 1991. For this, the TOS 25th Anniversary, Ertl reissued the original AMT shuttle as the Galileo II and opened up the front windows. So I bought one and built it. 

Before anybody brings up any criticism that the colors I choose to paint this kit are all wrong. I what you to know that I know that. The kit was painted according to recommendations in the instruction sheet. Not what is prototypical, or correct for a TOS shuttlecraft. But since this kit is off in other ways, and I will be building a "correct" Polar Lights version in the future, I decided to stick with the instructions recommendations. In for a penny, in for a pound. 

The kit is a piece of poop. Glueing seats in, getting landing legs to stay on were a pain. But a nice coat of paint and the decals put on, it doesn't look too bad. I'm happy with the end results. 

IMG_4295.JPG

IMG_4296.JPG

IMG_4297.JPG

IMG_4298.JPG

Even though the AMT kit had its issues, you did an excellent job on this! The color on the exterior looks correct to me. What paint did you use for the outside?

I have the new Polar Lights kit to build some day - but probably won't get to it for a while. I hope somebody has produced an interior detail kit for it by then!

Bart

On 12/27/2020 at 12:36 AM, slusher said:

Really nice, Scott!

On 12/27/2020 at 4:45 AM, David G. said:

Nicely done!

David G.

On 12/27/2020 at 9:29 AM, bh1701 said:

Even though the AMT kit had its issues, you did an excellent job on this! The color on the exterior looks correct to me. What paint did you use for the outside?

I have the new Polar Lights kit to build some day - but probably won't get to it for a while. I hope somebody has produced an interior detail kit for it by then!

Bart

On 12/27/2020 at 11:59 AM, Classicgas said:

Nice job on a turd. I will never understand why they did such a bad job on it. They built the actual full size (3/4 scale) shuttlecraft. Look forward to your build of the new one. 

Thank you gentlemen. And answer Bart's question, Tamiya spray can TS-26 Pure White.