Model Cars Magazine Forum

Identifying toy car

A cousin sent me this photo a couple of days ago, of my one of my sisters and I standing on his parent's front step back in about 1963. Both he and I are curious about the toy car I'm holding in my left hand in the picture. He thinks it might be a Husky '59 Buick police car. I don't remember Husky toy cars being that big? I thought they were more the size of Corgis. Does anybody else out there have a better idea of what it might be? I'm also curious about what the box might be under my right arm? 

image001.jpg

Edited by unclescott58

13 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I can't help you Scott.......but love the hat! :D

Steve

Saw my 10 yr old grandson the other day with a hat like that..Says he's going to wear it as his symbol when he goes into hockey arenas when they open..He says that hat will be his identifying thing...

14 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Cute photo! If your cousin could do a larger hi-res scan of it, we could have more details to go on, but to me it looks like you're holding some sort of pressed tin toy - Bandai or similar. Possibly a police car.

12 hours ago, keyser said:

Kinda small for Bandai. Maybe Cragstan Lincoln or Merc police car, 59 ish?

So far, two good guesses. But, in doing a web search for either Bandai or Cragstan didn't lead me to a match so far. All the toy police cars I'm seeing of either brand, black with a white roof, tend to have white doors also. In the case of Bandai's, white hoods and deck lids. The I'm holding in my hand, has an all black body, a white roof, and what looks like a printed word on the side. So I'm assuming it's a police car. Nothing I can find by Bandai or Cragstan match up. Great leads though.

6 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I can't help you Scott.......but love the hat! :D

Steve

6 hours ago, moparfarmer said:

Saw my 10 yr old grandson the other day with a hat like that..Says he's going to wear it as his symbol when he goes into hockey arenas when they open..He says that hat will be his identifying thing...

To this day, I'm still known for wearing hats. I'm sure when I've seen you guys at the different NNL Norths we've meet at, that I had one either on my head or near by. Mainly my Le Chapeau Tilley Airflow (Handcrafted with Canadian Persnicketness. Their words, not mine.). Or in the winter time, my Deer Stocker. A hat I bought from a vendor in England. But was made in China ?. A very nice Deer Stocker designed in England, from a shop in England, but made in China? That was a little disappointing at the time. But, it makes for an interesting story now. 

By the way, the next time we meet, remind me. I have a somewhat humorous story relating to measuring my head for the Deer Stocker. 

7 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

To this day, I'm still known for wearing hats. I'm sure when I've seen you guys at the different NNL Norths we've meet at, that I had one either on my head or near by. Mainly my Le Chapeau Tilley Airflow (Handcrafted with Canadian Persnicketness. Their words, not mine.). Or in the winter time, my Deer Stocker. A hat I bought from a vendor in England. But was made in China ?. A very nice Deer Stocker designed in England, from a shop in England, but made in China? That was a little disappointing at the time. But, it makes for an interesting story now. 

By the way, the next time we meet, remind me. I have a somewhat humorous story relating to measuring my head for the Deer Stocker. 

Hope its next year at the NNL North if our stupid Prime Minister would open the border..Its too costly to fly..

2 minutes ago, moparfarmer said:

Hope its next year at the NNL North if our stupid Prime Minister would open the border..Its too costly to fly..

From what I heard, as I did not make it myself, the Canadian contingent was missed at the NNL North here a couple of months ago.  Believe it or not, we like you guys. Let's hope things get back to normal, where we can have our meet at the normal time. The month of May. Rather than October. And they will allow you guys to sneak back in across the border. 

If I remember correctly, you've got family down here too, Wayne? That alone has got to have been a problem. 

1 hour ago, doorsovdoon said:

It's probably this one, the colour scheme matches with the police logo in the right place, and I can see the badge on the roof just under your hand in the picture. All I could find was this one picture of an old sale , over £300! and it was battery operated.

tin toy.jpg

My gut is telling me that I think you may have found it. It looks the closest so far. Obviously a '58, '59, or '60 Lincoln Continental Mark III, IV, or V? But, who made the toy? Any better information or photos on it? 

I wish I knew, but it seems that particular one is extremely rare. I could only find that one picture on Google images, clicking on it just takes you to the site it sold on, probably years ago cos it's not there anymore. The only other toy like it that's close is in the picture below, but I think it's a later product and there appears to be less chrome on the back than what's in your picture. Lol, I feel like Magnum P.I. xD

PD Tin Toy.jpg

Back Tin Toy.jpg

Edited by doorsovdoon

48 minutes ago, doorsovdoon said:

I wish I knew, but it seems that particular one is extremely rare. I could only find that one picture on Google images, clicking on it just takes you to the site it sold on, probably years ago cos it's not there anymore. The only other toy like it that's close is in the picture below, but I think it's a later product and there appears to be less chrome on the back than what's in your picture. Lol, I feel like Magnum P.I. xD

PD Tin Toy.jpg

Back Tin Toy.jpg

I'm thinking your first one feels more right. The above just does look quite right. 

10 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

From what I heard, as I did not make it myself, the Canadian contingent was missed at the NNL North here a couple of months ago.  Believe it or not, we like you guys. Let's hope things get back to normal, where we can have our meet at the normal time. The month of May. Rather than October. And they will allow you guys to sneak back in across the border. 

If I remember correctly, you've got family down here too, Wayne? That alone has got to have been a problem. 

Yea, haven't seem my grand kids since Feb 11, 2020..We face time all the time but they sure have grown..Little girl never said boo to me then but now she talks to me on Face time and even tells papa that she love him..When I used to ask if she loved papa she'd say NO..Tanner has grown so much too  He's only 5 but looks like he's at least 8 in height wise..If you've got a boat my son in law owns Bricks Boatworks in Shakopee Mn..If we could drive down if they opened border for a week I'd be on the road an hour after the announcement..Miss my family lots and my American friends too..