Model Cars Magazine Forum

34 Ford Pickup......

1 hour ago, Zippi said:

I did that on my 29.  Put big ol meats in the back.

20211121_095046.jpg

That's where I got the idea. Instructions has a customized drag version shown, but no details on building it. Not sure if it can be built without the fenders, but I think I'm going to try it. The big ole meats I got are the street tires out of the 67 Chevelle Pro Street. I will need to come up with someway to mount them, looks like I will need a longer metal axle. 

39 minutes ago, Painted Black said:

If you've not seen the original instructions, here is a page that shows some tips for the drag versionAMT1934FordPickup007-vi.jpg.f20a6ffa4536efd1724829a51cfd792b.jpg 

I have those same instructions, but I don't have all those extra parts needed. And it doesn't go into detail on how to install the big meats on the back. The mags that are in the kit don't fit far enough into my big tires, so the axle is not long enough. I will try and find an axle that will work. I hope I can come up with some other engine options that will work also. Also fitting the body and interior onto the frame doesn't seem to work very good without the fender section on there. I'm studying on it though. 

I'm still trying to decide if this is the way I'm going with it. Got some styrene rod to see if I can make some spacers that will push the big meats out a little, then try some toothpicks for axles. Meanwhile I'm working on the Ford modified stocker. Hope to finish it in a couple of days and get started on this hot rod. 

3 hours ago, bluestringer said:

I'm still trying to decide if this is the way I'm going with it. Got some styrene rod to see if I can make some spacers that will push the big meats out a little, then try some toothpicks for axles. Meanwhile I'm working on the Ford modified stocker. Hope to finish it in a couple of days and get started on this hot rod. 

Toothpicks will probably break IMO. Go to Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, or somewhere like that and get some finishing nails. I know Home Depot has them on display on the front of the rack so you can see the length diameter ect. 2 lb box will last you forever. Besides this application, I have found many modelling uses for them.

Edited by Sledsel

37 minutes ago, Sledsel said:

Toothpicks will probably break IMO. Go to Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, or somewhere like that and get some finishing nails. I know Home Depot has them on display on the front of the rack so you can see the length diameter ect. 2 lb box will last you forever. Besides this application, I have found many modelling uses for them.

Thanks, had not thought of that. I probably have some since I do a little wood working now and then. 

How would it look with the big meats sticking out beyond the fenders. I think I've got the axles figured out and I cut some spacers to bring the tires further out. I can also raise the rear end slightly for the big tires to clear the top of the fenders. I was first thinking of going without the fenders, but really don't like that look. 

_IGP0263.jpg

2 hours ago, iBorg said:

I'm following this thread....I acquired a chopped 34 in primer in a larger collection. It's interesting to me but I would like to get rid of the spare tire well. Any good fender units that can substitute for it?

I don't know of any fender units that would work, but I'm new at this, so someone may have some suggestions. I thought about chopping mine, but that's a little too much for me right now. If I can just get these big tires to work on the rear I'll be good. 

2 hours ago, bluestringer said:

I don't know of any fender units that would work, but I'm new at this, so someone may have some suggestions. I thought about chopping mine, but that's a little too much for me right now. If I can just get these big tires to work on the rear I'll be good. 

Well....I gotta be honest here James.  I think those tires need to be moved inward and not stick out beyond the fenders.  It would require removing the flat inner panel on the wheel well and then you'll have to cut into the bed.  Pill bottles make nice tubs for those big ol meats. Like you, that is all new to me but ill be doing one soon er or later.  Having said all that, its your model so you need to build it the way it looks good to you.  

13 hours ago, Zippi said:

Well....I gotta be honest here James.  I think those tires need to be moved inward and not stick out beyond the fenders.  It would require removing the flat inner panel on the wheel well and then you'll have to cut into the bed.  Pill bottles make nice tubs for those big ol meats. Like you, that is all new to me but ill be doing one soon er or later.  Having said all that, its your model so you need to build it the way it looks good to you.  

I think you are right Bob. I'm going to go with my original idea and build it without the fenders if possible. I will know more once I get the engine assembled and test fit it in the frame to see where it all lines up. I hope to finish the modified stocker today so I can put more time into figuring this one out. 

I would agree with Zippi on the rear tire placement. Another thing you might want to look at is the shape of the rear fender in relationship to the diameter of the rear tire. Think of the tire as an eye ball and the fenders as an arched eye brow. Not sure if that's the look you're wanting. 

4 hours ago, espo said:

I would agree with Zippi on the rear tire placement. Another thing you might want to look at is the shape of the rear fender in relationship to the diameter of the rear tire. Think of the tire as an eye ball and the fenders as an arched eye brow. Not sure if that's the look you're wanting. 

Yeah, I'm going back to my original idea. No fenders. I think I about got it figured out. Starting priming some body parts today. Going to paint it with Createx Pearl Blue. 

On 12/2/2021 at 1:54 PM, bluestringer said:

How would it look with the big meats sticking out beyond the fenders. I think I've got the axles figured out and I cut some spacers to bring the tires further out. I can also raise the rear end slightly for the big tires to clear the top of the fenders. I was first thinking of going without the fenders, but really don't like that look. 

_IGP0263.jpg

I think it would need to be tubbed James, so the tires are inside the fenders…if you go with fenders. The spare tire well could be cut out and capped with a chunk of styrene and a bit of milliput. It looks like there are so many possibilities, I just may have to get one of these kits.😁

Edited by NOBLNG