Model Cars Magazine Forum

34 Ford Pickup......

10 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

I think it would need to be tubbed James, so the tires are inside the fenders…if you go with fenders. The spare tire well could be cut out and capped with a chunk of styrene and a bit of milliput. It looks like there are so many possibilities, I just may have to get one of these kits.😁

Yeah, going with the fenders and having to tub it would be too much modification for me. I'm going to build it without the fenders. That way all I would need to do is add some spacers to get the big meats away from the bed. 

Cut some spacers from 5/32 inch styrene tubing to extend the axle housing so the big meats would not rub the bed. Stance looks a little too wide, may need to make them a little shorter. Being the axle would be too short now, I cut it in half with one half for each side. I don't care for the tires to roll anyway so I will glue them in place. 

_IGP0272.jpg

_IGP0274.jpg

Edited by bluestringer

I like the idea James. 

You have 2 options if you want Fenders. 1) Is to tub the the bed for the tires to set inside and that would require messing with the frame Also. 2) Would be to widen the rear fenders . After that what do you do with the running boards?  Yes I have thought about this before also.  

As far as the front fender unit why not use a set of fenders from an AMT 32 Ford kit, or at least the fender with the well in it. The wheel base for the 32 should not be the same as the 34 truck has a longer wheel base.  In scale it might not be that much different. 

14 hours ago, Zippi said:

I think that's looking pretty sharp James.  Better get a blower on that engine to produce some horse power to turn those big ol meats ☺

Thanks Bob. I don't have a blower setup. I'm going with the custom engine in the kit except I'm dechroming the block and intake/heads, etc.  It has the triple carb setup with a full air cleaner that covers all three carbs. But I'm going to use the separate air cleaners from the 29 kit instead. I'll have some photos soon. 

5 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

I like the idea James. 

You have 2 options if you want Fenders. 1) Is to tub the the bed for the tires to set inside and that would require messing with the frame Also. 2) Would be to widen the rear fenders . After that what do you do with the running boards?  Yes I have thought about this before also.  

As far as the front fender unit why not use a set of fenders from an AMT 32 Ford kit, or at least the fender with the well in it. The wheel base for the 32 should not be the same as the 34 truck has a longer wheel base.  In scale it might not be that much different. 

Thanks. I'm skipping the fenders, too much modification for me. This is the first time that I'm trying to deviate a little from a out of box build. Also doing a little kit bashing for the first time. 

• Like 1

Not sure what headers to use. The set out of the 25 T bucket model will work but this is supposed to be a street rod. May use them anyway. The instructions shows no fan on the custom engine, but there is a fan in the kit so I assume it can be used. I will be using a pre-wired distributor, but I don't have it yet. 

_IGP0276.jpg

3 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Not sure what headers to use. The set out of the 25 T bucket model will work but this is supposed to be a street rod. May use them anyway. The instructions shows no fan on the custom engine, but there is a fan in the kit so I assume it can be used. I will be using a pre-wired distributor, but I don't have it yet. 

_IGP0276.jpg

Looking g good James.  I make my own with the suppied distributor that comes in the kit.  Takes about 5 min.  

20211204_091028.jpg

20211204_151108.jpg

6 hours ago, Zippi said:

Looking g good James.  I make my own with the suppied distributor that comes in the kit.  Takes about 5 min.  

20211204_091028.jpg

20211204_151108.jpg

Thanks. The custom engine in this kit is lacking. The distributor and coil are molded in with the heads and intake, all one piece. And they don't even look much like a coil and distributor. I cut the distributor off so I can put in the pre-wired. 

Rear end is ready for those big meats. I was hoping to get the body painted today, but the weather is not cooperating, rainy and humid. Will not get much done the rest of the week, got a colonoscopy scheduled for Thursday and the prep starts tomorrow. ☹️

_IGP0279.jpg

Edited by bluestringer

9 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Rear end is ready for those big meats. I was hoping to get the body painted today, but the weather is not cooperating, rainy and humid. Will not get much done the rest of the week, got a colonoscopy scheduled for Thursday and the prep starts tomorrow. ☹️

_IGP0279.jpg

That banjo rear end is looking good James.

On 11/28/2021 at 12:56 PM, bluestringer said:

I have those same instructions, but I don't have all those extra parts needed. And it doesn't go into detail on how to install the big meats on the back. The mags that are in the kit don't fit far enough into my big tires, so the axle is not long enough. I will try and find an axle that will work. I hope I can come up with some other engine options that will work also. Also fitting the body and interior onto the frame doesn't seem to work very good without the fender section on there. I'm studying on it though. 

The interesting thing about those older AMT kits is that any of the engines from any of the same period engines will fit without any modifications as they all used the same mounts on the frames.