Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 Chevy C10 Pro Street

After I started this I realized I was in over my head. But I had already cut the bed, actually cut it too much, so since the kit was now ruined I went ahead and made something out it. I know the modifications I made are not mechanically accurate, but I did my best with it. It was a lot of fun and I learned some stuff for next time. To get the big tires under the back I had to narrow the frame and suspension, and shorten the axle housing, which I did by building new ones out of styrene tubing. Like I said I cut the bed too large and had to make some oversized tubs out of a pill bottle. I installed the Chevy 427 engine out of the 67 Chevelle kit. Drilled a hole in the interior hump and put in the shifter from the Chevelle also.  Had to cut some of the inner fender walls to make the 427 fit. The headers were a problem as they did not fit well, and ended up with the muffler ends almost hitting the ground, ok for the strip, but you won't be hitting any speed bumps with it on the street. Wheelie bars from the same kit. Fuel cell is a resin part I had from some parts I ordered from Teds Marketplace. I left off the back bumper and installed a strip of sheet styrene to give a smooth look in the back. Also did away with the tailgate chains. I tried lowering the front end by clipping off the spindles and moving them up as far I could and gluing them back on. It still is way too high in the front, needs to be lower. Still need to fabricate a radiator hose as I could not find one that would work. Also have not installed the wipers yet. Anyway it was fun and I learned some stuff. All comments are welcome.

_IGP0391.jpg

_IGP0393.jpg

_IGP0394.jpg

_IGP0398.jpg

_IGP0399.jpg

Edited by bluestringer
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, happy grumpy said:

That's what is fun with this hobby, your build, your choice. It's a fun looking truck.

Thank you.

14 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Haha....that's a good looking little grocery getter James.  I knew you would get it done and it looks great.  I wish i would have added the wheelie bars to my 56.  Great job man. 

Thanks Bob. I'll do a couple of OOB builds then give this kit bashing another go. 

11 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

Thank you.

Thanks Bob. I'll do a couple of OOB builds then give this kit bashing another go. 

Yup.  I don't want to go through that again for a while.  I think the next one I do will be my 66 pickup that I have in my stash.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 5:22 PM, cobraman said:

Looks darn good to me.

Thanks.

On 1/5/2022 at 7:26 PM, PappyD340 said:

Real nice!!

Thank you.

12 hours ago, slusher said:

Very nice..

Thanks.

11 hours ago, Smoke Wagon said:

Very nice pro street conversion. As for the wheel tubs in the bed, well that’s okay: It’s not made to haul things, it’s made to simply haul. 

Thank you.