Model Cars Magazine Forum

|55 Chevy Bel Air|

bluestringer

10 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Not sure if the purple pond will take it off. I don't think I can sand it out. 

I'm not sure it will take the clear off either. I actually used that clear coat and tried stripping it right after I sprayed it on and it took longer to come off than normal. The least you can do is try. I don't think I'd risk sanding it unless you wet sand with with 600 grit and re-clear it.

I'm interested in the Mustang and Camaro chassis not fitting, Revell 69 Camaro? and I assume the Mustang is the one pictured? I've built that kit before and had no trouble gettin it together... 🤔

15 hours ago, bluestringer said:

This is what I used. But I had also used it on the 97 Mustang which was painted with Createx Transparent Red over a black base. It did fine with that. 

71jmqKu3PHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

_IGP0474.jpg

It seems to me the different types of Createx react differently to the Rusto Clears.  As you showed, there was no problem with that Mustang.  That clear you used as you know is a true lacquer whereas the one I have been using is the Crystal Clear Acrylic Lacquer.  But I too had an issue with the Acrylic one.

9 hours ago, disconovaman said:

I'm not sure it will take the clear off either. I actually used that clear coat and tried stripping it right after I sprayed it on and it took longer to come off than normal. The least you can do is try. I don't think I'd risk sanding it unless you wet sand with with 600 grit and re-clear it.

I'm interested in the Mustang and Camaro chassis not fitting, Revell 69 Camaro? and I assume the Mustang is the one pictured? I've built that kit before and had no trouble gettin it together... 🤔

I finally got the Camaro together, but it's not right. May have been something I did wrong somewhere. The Mustang would not fit all the way down on the chassis and I can't find what's holding it back. I may take out the glass and see if that's it. 

5 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

It seems to me the different types of Createx react differently to the Rusto Clears.  As you showed, there was no problem with that Mustang.  That clear you used as you know is a true lacquer whereas the one I have been using is the Crystal Clear Acrylic Lacquer.  But I too had an issue with the Acrylic one.

If I can get this body sorted out I've got some Wicked Colors Phathalo Green I'm going to try on it. Not sure what clear I'll use though. Does Createx make a clear? 

Body is still soaking, but looks like I may be able to get most of it off. I got some Testors Clear Lacquer spray that I will test on some spoons I painted with the Createx. If I don't like that I'll probably just go back to using Revive It floor polish for the clear coat. 

20 minutes ago, David G. said:

That's a bummer about the paint on the body but at least it all came off without incident.

The interior looks fantastic.

David G.

Thank you David. I'm going to try and get the paint back on it this week. Still not sure what clear I will be using. 

Got the color back on it. I will not be using the Rustoleum lacquer again. I have some Testor's enamel clear I tested on a spoon with the same paint and it did fine. probably will use that. But I also picked up a small bottle of Createx gloss clear. I think I will spoon test it and see what it looks like. 

_IGP0497.jpg

_IGP0499.jpg

• Like 1

Hey there James...been away from the forum a few days on an Anniversary trip.  The green layed on there nicely.  I will still use the Rusto Acrylic Lacquer clear but clearly (ha, no pun intended) the actual Laquer will not work.   Let us know how the Createx clear works out. When I  used it it's just not very glossy.

17 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Hey there James...been away from the forum a few days on an Anniversary trip.  The green layed on there nicely.  I will still use the Rusto Acrylic Lacquer clear but clearly (ha, no pun intended) the actual Laquer will not work.   Let us know how the Createx clear works out. When I  used it it's just not very glossy.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

That green laid down nice!

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

Good job on the paint recovery, fingers crossed the clear works out for you.

Thanks.

Here's the spoons side by side. The Rust Acrylic Enamel is out. The Testors is a lacquer not an enamel like I said before, and I think it looks the best. The Createx looks ok, it is not as glossy as the Testors for sure, I can control it better in the airbrush, but right now I'm leaning toward the Testors. 

_IGP0502.jpg

1 hour ago, bluestringer said:

Thanks.

Thank you.

Thanks.

Here's the spoons side by side. The Rust Acrylic Enamel is out. The Testors is a lacquer not an enamel like I said before, and I think it looks the best. The Createx looks ok, it is not as glossy as the Testors for sure, I can control it better in the airbrush, but right now I'm leaning toward the Testors. 

_IGP0502.jpg

Thanks James...I'm surprised you got that much gloss from the Createx.

10 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

The testers and the created both look good.  Is the created water based?  Would you mind posting a pic of the createx clear you are using?

The Createx is a water based acrylic. Here's a stock photo of what I used. Picked it up at Hobby Lobby, but I think it has been discontinued and replaced with their UVLS Clear. 

download.jpg

That green paint is a great colour, James....... I know exeactly how you feel about those two kits that would not go right, and I have run up aginst such issues myself with other kits. Sometime it is best to move on to a different build, rather than getting bogged down with one that is going bad on you. Well done with the paint recovery, which has clearly given you a hard time ( no pun intended ! ).

David