Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another ‘What is this, please?’

Looks like something Ford would have on display at the new car auto shows of old. While maybe not practical for a family car of the day, it sure looks good to me. The back seat is fashioned after the Thunder Bird wraparound rear seating.  

Chrysler actually offered a setup somewhat like that on the Imperial for a couple of years (mid/late Sixties).  The passenger front seat could be turned to face the rear seat, and there was a small desk.  I believe it was called the Mobile Director option.  Special-Interesr Autos magazine once got their hands on one ('67 or '68) for an article.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, FredRPG said:

Was this the same car used in one of the Matt Helm movies?

65 Merc wagon that had turning front pass seat and wraparound couch in back. Was a factory showcar at one point. Preceded the one in earlier post. 

Edited by keyser

On 11/12/2022 at 5:18 AM, THarrison351 said:

It looks good! Pillarless! How would the doors secure? I'm not sure Ford ever offered a four door wagon in any form but sedan style doors.

If you look at the rockers, there appears to be a couple hoops just below where the doors would close over. Likely used latches for the barn door style side and back doors on the Econoline vans.