Model Cars Magazine Forum

70s Era Asphalt Modified

CabDriver

3 hours ago, dwc43 said:

That's a fact. I got hit in the left front in the middle of 1 and 2 at Winchester speedway one night by a camaro. It dislodged the z bar mount that bolts to the bellhousing. Lucky, I did not lose the everything. It stayed on the car, but it had no clutch. 

Winchester is a tough place. My last year at Islip, we had all the Freeport bombers come race with us after that track closed. Every night was a crash fest. 

56 minutes ago, bobss396 said:

Winchester is a tough place. My last year at Islip, we had all the Freeport bombers come race with us after that track closed. Every night was a crash fest. 

Crash fest reminds me of the pony cars. Can't get through a race without 10 cautions or more. lol  But, I guess you gotta start somewhere. 

3 hours ago, dwc43 said:

Crash fest reminds me of the pony cars. Can't get through a race without 10 cautions or more. lol  But, I guess you gotta start somewhere. 

We had a good class going until the goon squad showed up. One night we had 62 cars signed in for 30 spots to start, so 1/2 the cars sat out.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bobss396 said:

We had a good class going until the goon squad showed up. One night we had 62 cars signed in for 30 spots to start, so 1/2 the cars sat out.

WOW, that's a lot of cars. I know at my home track and a few others if we got a lot of cars we split them up into two heats and then lined up a normal sized group for the main. WE did have a big dwarf car race one night though. For those that don't know, that's a 1/2 scale 20's and 30's cars running motorcycle engines and cut down Toyota rear axles. They had so many cars there, with the lead cars on the starting line the tail end was halfway down the back stretch. Needless to say, that did not work out to good. Big wreck on 1st lap going into turn one. A couple cars actually got out into the parking lot, well they were hung up in the fencing and I think they did damage a couple cars. And to make it worse, they had to call the FD and EMT's to extricate one of the drivers from his car. He was not hurt bad, just could not get out of the car. 

image.png.226f963fb1c0aa0b4554b834d145ec2e.png

image.png.b873ad4d78fad9735f68d35ea8d33e68.png

I was in a 37 car main in 1984, 50 laps double points too. It had rained earlier so the field was picked by money earned. I started on the pole since I missed a bunch of races. 

I had a 327 under the hood from a car I was going to junk. I went from 1st to 25th in one lap. It had a dead spot so I had to get on the gas way earlier. I did wind up with a 5th place finish. 

I remember the old Atomic Speedway in East TN having big car counts back in the 70's and 80's. They'd run a few heat races, a consultation (non qualifiers) feature and a feature. Those were the days!

Sadly those days, along with Atomic Speedway, are gone. I raced on asphalt in middle TN, KY and North AL in the mid 80's and early 90's. We had good car counts back then, but nothing like the old days at Atomic.

• Like 1

The most fun we ever had was at Hohenwald, Tn. We did a 200 lap Enduro race with a Super Street car. We prepped that car and brought enough parts that we could have built 3 more cars in the pits. lol We put tailpipes on the headers with a cross over pipe and ran them out the right side of the car trying to keep the noise down inside the car. Two cars crashed and ran over a bumper punched a hole in the cross over pipe and got a flat. Every time you backed off in the turn it would pop and flame out the pipes putting on a show. We also had a red flag at lap 100 on the front straight. You could refuel and give water or food to the driver, and you could look at the car, but not touch it. WE also had to provide a lap counter in the stands and their numbers had to match the number the track counter had in the booth. After it was over we were loading up and they started calling out the finishing positions from last to first over the PA. We thought we missed out names. We ended up finishing second behind David Earl Gentry. We proceeded to make a lot of noise and you would have thought we won the Daytona 500. lol  Good times. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

Seems this post has been turned into a "I remember when" rather than a build post. Any updates on the build?

We're just ramblin and waiting on an update ourselves. lol😁

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dwc43 said:

The most fun we ever had was at Hohenwald, Tn. We did a 200 lap Enduro race with a Super Street car. We prepped that car and brought enough parts that we could have built 3 more cars in the pits. lol We put tailpipes on the headers with a cross over pipe and ran them out the right side of the car trying to keep the noise down inside the car. Two cars crashed and ran over a bumper punched a hole in the cross over pipe and got a flat. Every time you backed off in the turn it would pop and flame out the pipes putting on a show. We also had a red flag at lap 100 on the front straight. You could refuel and give water or food to the driver, and you could look at the car, but not touch it. WE also had to provide a lap counter in the stands and their numbers had to match the number the track counter had in the booth. After it was over we were loading up and they started calling out the finishing positions from last to first over the PA. We thought we missed out names. We ended up finishing second behind David Earl Gentry. We proceeded to make a lot of noise and you would have thought we won the Daytona 500. lol  Good times. 

Those old enduros were something else. Never raced in one, but attended several to cheer on my buddies.

I'll comment on a build update as soon as there is one.

Edited by Volzfan59
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2024 at 10:08 AM, TarheelRick said:

Seems this post has been turned into a "I remember when" rather than a build post. Any updates on the build?

I finished it a page back… 😂

I LOVE hearing all these stories and stuff tho…so feel free to keep it going everyone…I’ve got more of these to build and all the pointers are interesting and helpful!  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...