Model Cars Magazine Forum

PACER SRT V8: What if Mopar hi-po division took control of AMC many years earlier?

Claude Thibodeau

Hi!

To me, the Pacer is the embodiment of "walking to a different drummer"... I know the car always raised comments and contreversy, but at least, it was unique!

I was lucky to find a very clean Johan promo, and kitbased it with Revell's Corvette purple concept car chassis and powertrain. I added a scratchbuilt interior (floor, rear shelf, tunnel, console, door panels), opened and reversed the hood, and cleaned the exterior with custom molded bumpers. Amt's S10 Xtreme rolling stock. Tamya's lacquers in the prevalent hues of the era. 

Not really a "Hellcat", but this thing should move!

Hours of fun with styrene!

CT

DSC01817 (2).JPG

DSC01823 (2).JPG

DSC01819 (2).JPG

DSC01826 (2).JPG

DSC01827 (2).JPG

DSC01828 (2).JPG

DSC01829 (2).JPG

DSC01831 (2).JPG

DSC01821 (2).JPG

DSC01833 (2).JPG

• Like 9

If it weren't for the performance exhaust sneaking out under the back, the bold SRT blazing across it's flanks, and the brash color, I'd say you created the ultimate sleeper. After seeing this baby I'd be afraid REM would toss me out of bed onto my head! Another winning creative concept in supurb executiont!!!

12 hours ago, Lobo2me said:

If it weren't for the performance exhaust sneaking out under the back, the bold SRT blazing across it's flanks, and the brash color, I'd say you created the ultimate sleeper. After seeing this baby I'd be afraid REM would toss me out of bed onto my head! Another winning creative concept in supurb executiont!!!

Hi Steve!

Thank you. You are right... It's almost a sleeper.

My goal was to create something that would look like a car you could drive off the dealer's lot, BEFORE the typical "day 2" musclecar adds of the era  (Cragar mags, traction bars, etc.) So, I passed on the tubbed rear tires, dropped spindles, and al. An editorial choice of sorts...

CT

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Pretty cool Claude. Looks like the Vette chassis fit it pretty good. 

I'll have to remember that when I re-do the MPC kit I have.

That JoHan promo must be pretty rare as I've never seen of heard of one before. 😉

Hi Steve!

Thanks for the comments.

To your point: it was also the first time I saw a Pacer promo. Mine was harvest yellow, and pristine. Even though I cannot swear that it was a Johan product, dismounting it showed all the usual hallmarks of previous Johan promos I bought and transformed, mostly Javelins of 68 & 69 vintage. I also saw a few online on Ebay. 

I know MPC issued a kit of the car, but judging from the hood & grille, I think it is not the same model year. Maybe someone may shed more light on that...

CT

17 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Steve!

Thanks for the comments.

To your point: it was also the first time I saw a Pacer promo. Mine was harvest yellow, and pristine. Even though I cannot swear that it was a Johan product, dismounting it showed all the usual hallmarks of previous Johan promos I bought and transformed, mostly Javelins of 68 & 69 vintage. I also saw a few online on Ebay. 

I know MPC issued a kit of the car, but judging from the hood & grille, I think it is not the same model year. Maybe someone may shed more light on that...

CT

MPC did Pacer promos for '75 and I think later until '78 but I've only seen '75s. Pretty sure that's what you got there. 

Must have been tough cutting up that plastic, I bet it was pretty think in places.

Never even got around to stripping mine, it's a '77. It won't be as wild as yours though. 😉

145 4528145 4529

[ If I'm out of like posting these pics, please let me know and I'll delete them.] 

Edited by Can-Con

12 hours ago, Can-Con said:

MPC did Pacer promos for '75 and I think later until '78 but I've only seen '75s. Pretty sure that's what you got there. 

Must have been tough cutting up that plastic, I bet it was pretty think in places.

Never even got around to stripping mine, it's a '77. It won't be as wild as yours though. 😉

145 4528145 4529

[ If I'm out of like posting these pics, please let me know and I'll delete them.] 

Hi Steve!

Well, my dear Sherlock, it seems you solved the mystery. I guess it is indeed an MPC. Only the wheels were different on mine: the five spoke "star spokes" aluminium dish mags. I think yours are different...

No problem with posting your pics: this forum is to share, and I enjoy that!

Thanks for shedding some light. Now, maybe JOHAN purists won't get mad at me for "destroying" a rare specimen: It occured to me once at a model show.

Oh well...

CT

• Like 1