Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/160 Scale '30 Model A Ford Hot Rod

I bought a pair of 1/160 scale hot rods off the Shapeways.com site, with no real plan what to do with them. Handling them, I noticed the tiny engine was a bit loose, and looking closely under my OptiVisor I saw both the engine and the body were only attached by thin threads of resin to the chassis. So, I used a sharp X-Acto to separate the 3D model into three parts, then cleaned up and sanded away printing lines with 3,000 grit paper. The body was primed with Tamiya fine primer and then their coral blue. The flame decals are one tiny section of 1/25 scale flames from the Revell '32 Deuce kit. Incredibly, the engine has a transmission and there's a bench seat (now painted brown) in the interior. I painted the engine block with Testors red, the valve covers with a Molotow chrome pen (also touched the front of the headlights with the pen to simulate lenses), and used Tamiya panel line accent to pick out the grille and door lines. I think I'll leave the 2nd hot rod as is for comparison.

TinyHotRod1.jpg

TinyHotRod2.jpg

TinyHotRod3.jpg

• Like 6