Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any news/rumors of what Round2's gonna reissue for 2025? Here's my list.

Despite my wish and hope for a reissue of the '68 Impala SS I don't for see it happening in scale anytime soon. While much of the body is shared trying to use a valid '67 Impala tool to make a '68 and then expecting to change the tool back and forth with the '67 would be far more difficult than working on the 1:1 cars. The portions of front and rear fender end caps that GM can use on a 1:1 just wouldn't work on our styrene bodies. The substructure body areas may work, but the way our kit bodies are made is different it would not. The same could be said for the area Infront of the radiator. I think that more than a few have expressed an interest in a '68 Impala that if the tooling still existed Round 2 would have done something about finding and repairing it by now. 

On 6/2/2024 at 2:33 AM, Richard Bartrop said:

Since Round 2 is doing models from UFO,  I'd like to see them release a kit based on Col Straker's car from the series.

doppelganger-prop.png

Richard, have you tried reworking an AMT Amtronic? There's several on Ebay. 

AMT Amtronic.webp

I'll jump in for an early model Corvair. 

I got the chance to diddle with one a few years ago, lots of fun. Did a halfassed engine rebuild, 102hp heads on an 80hp block with dual carbs and a PG transaxle from a Turbo vert in a 4 door sedan. Went along pretty darn well, sounded the part with straight through exhaust... loved the low to the ground seating position, the top of the door came right up into my armpit - great for bracing yourself into those hard corners, sawing on that thin steering wheel.

As much as I've felt the need to buy some of the AMT repops of old kits, I just can't drive myself to trim 27 miles of flashing off every single part anymore. I'd buy a couple of the Probe kits or something from the '80s/90s because I know I could drag myself to finish it without therapy sessions!

25 minutes ago, chunkypeanutbutter said:

As much as I've felt the need to buy some of the AMT repops of old kits, I just can't drive myself to trim 27 miles of flashing off every single part anymore. I'd buy a couple of the Probe kits or something from the '80s/90s because I know I could drag myself to finish it without therapy sessions!

Interesting....however the newly tooled 1963 F100 Unibody "clone" kit I built a couple of months ago had no flash that I recall, and the surface development/quality, and especially fit and finish, far exceeded any of the original 1960s annual kits i have built over the years.  I was building an original 1963 F100 kit when Round 2 announced the new one, and let me tell anyone who will listen, there is just no comparison in any of these areas between the old and the new....

Not sure if that is directly relevant to your comment, but wanted to pass it along anyway.

Best...TB

PS - your gen 1 Corvair sounded like a blast!  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, magicmustang said:

Richard, have you tried reworking an AMT Amtronic? There's several on Ebay. 

AMT Amtronic.webp

I have an AMTtronic, and I have another use in mind for it, but to conver one into the other, you might as well start from scratch

I second Tim's motion on the new kits - esp the new "retool" Craftsman plus subjects, which pretty well snap together. The only one that is south of the spec is the '66 Fastback, which shows the difficulty of trying to meld a new, CAD-designed body shell with a vintage interior and kit guts. I've fiddled with mine for a while, just put it back in the box for another day. 

Older tool kits - you just have to go into the build with both eyes open. They will be more work, particularly for '70s era kits, or the more detailed of the Trophies. 

Those kits separate the modelers from the assemblers. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ragtop Man said:

I second Tim's motion on the new kits - esp the new "retool" Craftsman plus subjects, which pretty well snap together. The only one that is south of the spec is the '66 Fastback, which shows the difficulty of trying to meld a new, CAD-designed body shell with a vintage interior and kit guts. I've fiddled with mine for a while, just put it back in the box for another day.

As with all new technology there's a learning curve and they will improve with each new new release based on a long-gone vintage kit.

The FB you mention, I filed the A-pillars to match the original kit I have, just need to glue on some evergreen strip to make up the trim.

Anyway, can't wait to see what's around the corner.

Cheers

Luc

Edited by Luc Janssens

On 4/27/2024 at 7:29 PM, 1972coronet said:

Thanks for sharing the photos , @Mr mopar

The SSlasher 1972 Chevelle has my attention - for more reasons than one :
1.) That's the old MPC kit , c.1983 issue 
2.) What's going on with the C-pillar / DLO junction ?

IIRC, that MPC kit has a BBC / TH-400 combo.

The SSLASHER was retooled from the Hurtubise NASCAR kit in the early eighties. When they returned it to stock ish they messed some stuff up. They failed to add wheel opening moldings,trunk lock cylinder and an opening groove for the cowl induction. The top corner of the qtr window is always off I’m sure due to worn tooling. The fender SS 454 emblem is not quite in the right location either. It has a 454 Muncie combo with the incorrect air cleaner for a cowl induction car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, yellowsportwagon said:

The SSLASHER was retooled from the Hurtubise NASCAR kit in the early eighties. When they returned it to stock ish they messed some stuff up. They failed to add wheel opening moldings,trunk lock cylinder and an opening groove for the cowl induction. The top corner of the qtr window is always off I’m sure due to worn tooling. The fender SS 454 emblem is not quite in the right location either. It has a 454 Muncie combo with the incorrect air cleaner for a cowl induction car.

After the NASCAR version but before the SSLASHER came the Super Stocker (dirt track) version, with its hacked-out wheel openings.

I've had 3 1:1 Corvairs in my life... I think an early model Spyder Convertible would have the best chance. Be sure to add the optional wire wheel covers with three-pronged spinners.
Would they sell? I wouldn't bet on it.
My Craftsman '63 Corvair. 

MODEL- My '63 Corvair. Black. Restored 'Craftsman' kit [02].jpg

• Like 4

I see AMT will be bringing out the '66 Barracuda Hemi Hustler , '70 Monte Carlo low rider , '57 Chevy Bel-air street machine and 1969 Ford Falcon Modified Stocker !

AMT-6752-2.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

s-l1200.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Mr mopar
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Jon Cole said:

I've had 3 1:1 Corvairs in my life... I think an early model Spyder Convertible would have the best chance. Be sure to add the optional wire wheel covers with three-pronged spinners.
Would they sell? I wouldn't bet on it.
My Craftsman '63 Corvair. 

MODEL- My '63 Corvair. Black. Restored 'Craftsman' kit [02].jpg

Nice.  Still have this unbuilt in the stash

SAM_2291.JPG

2 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

I see AMT will be bringing out the '66 Barracuda Hemi Hustler , '70 Monte Carlo low rider , '57 Chevy Bel-air street machine and 1969 Ford Falcon Modified Stocker !

Sure would be nice if AMT would include the stock building option with their '66 Barracuda Hemi Hustler. I doubt they would, but who knows?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PintoKING said:

Sure would be nice if AMT would include the stock building option with their '66 Barracuda Hemi Hustler. I doubt they would, but who knows?

The body isn't exactly stock anyway. The rear wheel openings are radiused.

Would make a nice street machine though.

1 hour ago, gasman said:

D825025B-BB27-421B-88C6-3546C027CBC6.jpeg

60FAE67F-350D-40BA-A05B-723E9469E390.jpeg

didn’t expect the Bel Air to actually be reissued; I wanted it to be reissued, with the same stuff as before.

also will the stock versions of the street machines come back?