Model Cars Magazine Forum

3D Printed 20K Leagues Under the Sea Nautilus.

I always liked the Disney version of the Nautilus; the Verne version is a bit bland. This particular set of model files was on sale on CGTrader, actually it goes on sale quite a lot, and this model took me a year plus to complete, from printing to assembly to painting. Not perfect by far, and it tested the limits of my Ender 3 V2 FDM printer, and I had to reduce the printed size down to 72%, which still makes for an almost 4-foot model. First picture is the multiple colors of PLA I used, I had those colors for other items, so I used them up, I think 6 full spools in all. The salon room was printed in PLA, but I could not get the furniture to print in an acceptable quality, I eventually purchased a 3D resin printer and printed the furniture and internal details in resin.  The carpets were found online and printed and glued to thin plastic. The salon is lit with 6 SMD LEDs, 4 warm white and 2 white, in hindsight I should have gone with all white, when the salon went in the hull it got much darker.  The white LEDs surround the viewing windows as well and the bridge section. While not accurate I added yellow LEDs to the 2 eyes on the super structure and then added a simple circuit to fade them off and on. There is a small motor that turns the prop slowly. The first attempt at printing clear resin windows produced fogged windows, lots of online reading and pondering why. In the end I decided vac-u-form was the way to go, I used the 3D printed windows filled the backside with resin and cured them and used them as the pattern, not perfect but better. Putting this one on the shelf means the next big ship is the USS St Louis from World of Warships it is a free download on the Printables website Printables 

color plastic.jpg

salon 2.jpg

salon.jpg

salon1.jpg

inside bridge.jpg

lights side view.jpg

outside side closer.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with you. The Disney Nautilus is the best looking of them all.

Your Build is a Home Run!

I really appreciate all the details, the working lights, & the spinning prop.

Good Show!