Model Cars Magazine Forum

61 Chevy SS 409

Had a few problems with this one, but finally got it together, warts and all. The color is ScratchesHappen Azure Metallic Blue. This was a bottle of touchup paint I had for my Buick Encore GX. It mixed well with some cheap lacquer thinner and sprayed good through my airbrush. The interior is Tamiya Acylic Blue. Clear is floor polish sprayed with airbrush.  Straight out of box build, I added plug wires and a fuel line to the carb. I had the kit in my stash for about 2 years, the chrome trees were spotted, looking like the plating was coming off. The small bits were ok like that, but I stripped the bumpers and grille, then sprayed them with Krylon Original Chrome. It looks good but not as bright as the kit chrome. I did the side trim with BMF, and really messed it up. After that I finished the rest of the trim with a Molotow pen. Lost one of the rear backup lights bezel, so had to make do without it. Not a show car, so it will do. All comments welcome, and thanks for looking.

IMGP9684.JPG

IMGP9685.JPG

IMGP9688.JPG

IMGP9690.JPG

IMGP9691.JPG

IMGP9693.JPG

IMGP9692.JPG

Edited by bluestringer
  • Like 9

Great looking dark blue color and finish. The bumpers sheen looks close to the body trim. Like how you posed the front wheels and the wheel and tire combination look good. 

20 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking dark blue color and finish. The bumpers sheen looks close to the body trim. Like how you posed the front wheels and the wheel and tire combination look good. 

Thanks David.

20 hours ago, rrb124@sbcglobal.net said:

Checking out the nice engine bay and the dual snorkel air cleaner.

Thank you.

20 hours ago, Hard_2_Handle_454 said:

Nice work.  What's funny is I was just at an indoor Flea Market that's next door to where I get my car serviced; they had two die cast 61 Impalas in there.  Someone was also selling several pricey Danbury Mint cars. 

Thanks.

20 hours ago, Zippi said:

Nice looking 61 Bubble top James. That color looks pretty kewl.   

Thanks Bob.

17 hours ago, Tim W. SoCal said:

Bitchen Bubble Top Impala, James!

Thanks Tim.

16 hours ago, Supernurd said:

Beautiful car!  😍

Thank you.

6 hours ago, XYHARRY said:

Nice 61 there James, looks great considering the trouble you had. Well done.

Cheers, 

David. 😎👍

Thanks David.

6 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice 61 Chevy!

Thanks.

17 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Very nice build, especially like the color. Even though I am a died in the wool Ford guy, I wouldn't mind having one like this parked on my carport.

Thanks.

11 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Aww, my favorite Impala.  Looks so nice in that color and the wheels look perfect on it.

Great job James👍  Mikey likes it😀

Thanks Mike.

1 hour ago, ChrisR said:

Very nice.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Funkychiken said:

Cool car, great looking build!

Thank you.