Model Cars Magazine Forum

electric drill, which

Need a small electric drill for a pin vise.  I have seen elect. screwdrivers for under $25, but do they have colletts for tiny drill-bits?  Anybody use such a thing?  I have been using a pin-vise, but I wonder if there is something electric.  Thanks

Tricky Question, as most small drills spin so fast that they will melt, rather than cut plastic. Variable speed Dremel seems to be the way many folks do it.

I use hand drills.

For drilling tiny holes from #61-80, my preference is the spring loaded push drill on the right. Micro Mark sells them I believe. For larger holes I like the manual pin vise, or my cordless drill. I have a micro chuck with three collets that I can also mount in my cordless drill or even my drill press.

IMG_2959.jpeg

There are variable speed control units that power tools similar to a Dremel can be plugged into. You can bring the revs right down using one of these. Proxxon make one but there will be other makes available through hobby tool outlets like Micro Mark probably.

This is what I have. I inherited it from my father so I'm just getting used to it. I think it might be a better option as it would be slower and possible easier to aim. I think a larger drill will lead to lots of broken bits. I also believe a Dremel will be too fast.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/product/electric-handy-drill/TAM74041.html?gad_source=1

I use both an electric dremel on a long shaft and a cordless one for some things but when it comes to pin vise size drills I go back to the pin vise.  Lots more control in small difficult areas to drill in.  I use carbide drills that have a 1/8" shank for the pin vise.  Very, very sharp but they are brittle so it pays to be careful when drilling to keep things lined up properly.

Ron, how can a 3-jaw lathe chuck be a precision drilling tool (like a pin vise)? That was the original question here

The chuck itself is bulky and probably weights couple pounds.  Even if the chuck could hold small  drill bits (#60-80), I can't see having good control or gentle touch while drilling a #80 hole in a some part of a plastic model. The chuck also has individually adjusted jaws, which means for every size drill bit you would have to go through a centering routine, or  the drill bit would wobble.

This chuck would probably be good to turn down model rims and such, but not for precision drilling!  What will you use it for?

Edited by peteski

Well, the question was relative to purchasing an electric drill.  Simply gave him another use for an electric drill.  I plan on using it for finishing some castings I have created and as a mini lathe .  

14 minutes ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

I have been pretty happy with the little battery-operated Tamiya handy drill I purchased on Hobbylinc.

Can you tell me more about Using the Tamiya Drill. I remember seeing the ads when it was introduced, but did not buy one at the time. Now, I think I want one, but what is it like to live with and use?

The size looks handy. Is the collet for holding the Drill bits sturdy enough?

21 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Can you tell me more about Using the Tamiya Drill. I remember seeing the ads when it was introduced, but did not buy one at the time. Now, I think I want one, but what is it like to live with and use?

The size looks handy. Is the collet for holding the Drill bits sturdy enough?

Alan I like mine as well. I found that the two halves of the body near the nose (collet location) could not be made snug without stripping out the screw location. I remedied this with a nylon tie. It is really good when numerous, repetitive drillings are involved.

2024-01-31 A.jpg

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, R. Thorne said:

Well, the question was relative to purchasing an electric drill.  Simply gave him another use for an electric drill.  I plan on using it for finishing some castings I have created and as a mini lathe .  

Please let us know what that thing is like. Since my lathe quit working, I’ve been tempted to buy one of those for turning rings for wheel rims and such. I’m just wondering if it is a useful tool or junk? I have some cheap pin vises that are junk, so I an hesitant.

Thanks.

Edited by NOBLNG

9 hours ago, Bill Eh? said:

Alan I like mine as well. I found that the two halves of the body near the nose (collet location) could not be made snug without stripping out the screw location. I remedied this with a nylon tie. It is really good when numerous, repetitive drillings are involved.

2024-01-31 A.jpg

That thing reminds me of the WWII Liberator Handgun (google it)

I used 2 different Dremels as well as a handful of pin vises outfitted with more common drill bits that I use.  For drilling harder plastics, or repetitive drilling like drilling out rotors, I have a battery powered hand drill that I got from Micromark.  It uses 2 AAA battery's and I outfitted it with twist type chuck that will allow for even the tiniest of drill bits.  It spins slowly either forward or reverse so it will not get of control on you.

29 minutes ago, BDSchindler said:

I have a battery powered hand drill that I got from Micromark.  It uses 2 AAA battery's and I outfitted it with twist type chuck that will allow for even the tiniest of drill bits.

Can you provide a link to it, or at least a Micro-Mark catalog number?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BDSchindler said:

Apparently they no longer carry it...not listed anywhere in their catalog or online.

I actually found it on Amazon for under $20...spins at 100rpm, like I said...slow turning FWD/REV

https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-500-Precision-Screwdriver/dp/B002XZLTQO?th=1

or home depot for the same price...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-Tools-Power-Precision-Screwdriver-500/202025658

PWRScrewdriver.png.462204e069f7574e9e4ddae85641e06a.png

• Like 1

On 6/27/2024 at 1:03 PM, NOBLNG said:

Please let us know what that thing is like. Since my lathe quit working, I’ve been tempted to buy one of those for turning rings for wheel rims and such. I’m just wondering if it is a useful tool or junk? I have some cheap pin vises that are junk, so I an hesitant.

Thanks.

It will be a few days, but, sure, be glad to let you know my opinion of it.