Model Cars Magazine Forum

3M Organic Spray Mask

Question for you fellows that have this spray mask or one similar.  It came with a weeks worth of reading and I'm just not up for the task  It came with the white pads and the organic cartridges.  How many spray jobs are these filters good for?  I'm just spraying models only.  Thanks guys.  

20240624_102657.jpg

20240624_102919.jpg

Those who use them as part of their job probably change them after each job.  For what we’re doing, it's probably possible to go a lot longer between changes.  But, I'd give some thought to how the filter should be stored between jobs.

• Like 1

I use this mask and have a paint booth. I am expecting that the cartridges and pads in conjunction with the paint booth should last at least a year Off course it depends on how much painting you do. I have painted 6 cars and I have not seen any paint particles on the pads or cartridges.

Good luck

Mike

• Like 1

I have been using 3M half-masks for decades at the model bench, and at work. For model painting, I get dozens of paint jobs out of the cartridge, which in my world means a few years use. Really, they should be changed annually (or more frequently, if you paint a lot) for the work we do, but if you can't smell paint when spraying, you are good to go. When I do change my filters, it's just because I feel it is [past] time to do so.  Keep the mask and filters in a sealed bag to extend the life of the filters. It is important to note that you should not smell any paint at all during use. If you do, the mask itself may not fit you well or may require adjustment (or, you might need a shave). The pre-filter (white pad) will greatly extend the life of the primary filter by catching the larger paint particles, but is otherwise unnecessary.

Congrats on your wise purchase.

Edited by Bainford
  • Like 5

1) READ THE INSTRUCTIONS

2) The biggest problem with these things is condensation inside the filter cartridges from breathing through them.

If you put them back in the bag immediately after use, they may be damp and CAN grow mold internally, and it can make you sick. It's happened to me more than once, and I finally figured out what was going on.

I haven't had any problems since I started putting them in a sunny window for an hour or two after each use, to let them dry out thoroughly, before putting them back in the storage bag.

• Like 7

On 6/24/2024 at 12:06 PM, Bainford said:

It is important to note that you should not smell any paint at all during use. If you do, the mask itself may not fit you well or may require adjustment (or, you might need a shave).

This is an excellent point.

Even the best mask out there won't seal against beard stubble, much less a full beard.

A full air-supplied hood is your best option if your face is hairy.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

This is an excellent point.

Even the best mask out there won't seal against beard stubble, much less a full beard.

A full air-supplied hood is your best option if your face is hairy.

Thats something I was thinking of addressing in the the thread on 2K I was responding to yesterday. One thing nice about the hoods is you can have a beard.

For organic type paints like enamels and lacquers they do have the hoods with a carbon filter pack in your back. But for 2K and catalyzed paints in general, I still like the idea of separate air supply, especially in 1/1. These give positive pressure in the hood. Nothing is getting in, and it's automatic eye protection.

Those organic cartridges go active as soon as you open the sealed package. If you just leave them out in the air they won't last very long. So you need to get them sealed back up after each use. It's mostly the mask framework that holds the cartridges that gets condensation and as mentioned, it needs to be dry before bagging up.

• Like 1