Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tip for Removing Overspray

5 hours ago, Horrorshow said:

I have a couple small overspray issues on my next build, any tips for removing them?IMG_7746.thumb.jpeg.522423d3fab2be6911117981853ad7df.jpeg

I use a Q tip or fold up the corner of a paper towel with very little paint thinner (for enamel paint) on it then lightly rub the over spray off. then clear coat.

Edited by yh70

2 hours ago, Horrorshow said:

I have a couple small overspray issues on my next build, any tips for removing them?

Your picture is a bit blurry, but I don’t see any overspray? Are you referring to these spots where maybe the paint leaked under the masking tape? If so, I have used a sharp hobby knife to very very lightly scrape it off. A fine sanding stick may work too with a delicate touch. If it is in fact overspray, then maybe a wet sanding and then polishing would work.

IMG_2974.jpeg

3 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

Your picture is a bit blurry, but I don’t see any overspray? Are you referring to these spots where maybe the paint leaked under the masking tape? If so, I have used a sharp hobby knife to very very lightly scrape it off. A fine sanding stick may work too with a delicate touch. If it is in fact overspray, then maybe a wet sanding and then polishing would work.

IMG_2974.jpeg

Sorry for the confusion. It’s the two black marks beneath the arrows.

Try yh70's idea, but try to use a pointed q-tip or something with a pointed tip. Use just a bit of thinner and don't apply too much pressure. If that goes through the blue paint, then just lightly sand the area with something like 1000 grit and give it a quick pass or two with the blue paint (with the pillars masked, of course).

I have used full strength Simple Green on a Q-tip to remove overspray with good results.  Be sure to clean the area thoroughly before applying anymore paint/clear, etc.

Mask it off. Use a Q-Tip and paste cleaner car wax and buff it away.  I've done this on a larger scale on full sized vehicle paint oopses it works.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...