Model Cars Magazine Forum

1992 Ford F-150 Flareside

I know this one's been talked about in another general thread, but figured I'd start a new topic since I found these high quality photos of the packaging. By all accounts, this is pretty much a straight re-issue plus the inclusion of an expanded decal sheet. This is the first time this kit gets this treatment as even the last re-issue under Round2, which was the Lightning, had a very bare decal sheet. Note that the old Flareside kits were the only versions of the AMT 9th-generation F-150 that came without body side molding and with running boards. I wish they had given this same treatment to the Lightning, which in real life does not have side molding.

image.jpeg.df9cbdb1bda202c75a086f025b1d064d.jpegimage.jpeg.fae6d590485bf3526a0385d8ee00047b.jpegimage.jpeg.d4dcb93a9cc8bd13f61b368b5684eae4.jpegimage.jpeg.bd0e408c10d8d6f613184ab9eb862b4f.jpeg

Here's a screenshot of the decal sheet from the Round2 video:

image.png.0a4a99ba2b582f2012eb01b5ea4c051a.png

Note that apart from the Flare side decals, it appears to have the Nite stripes (1992 only), but no "Nite" decals. 

1992-ford-f150-nite.webp.31024d36e24ebf284dff84d9cfec2006.webp

All in all, thank you Round2 for bringing back one of my favorite kits with all new decals. I like that just an expansion of the decal sheet gives us builders a lot more options for these kits. I hope we can see re-issues of the XLT long beds and short beds. I would love to see those with Eddie Bauer decals and maybe some pin stripes. 

Edited by av405
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, rattle can man said:

I would love to see a long bed again. although prices on auction sites are reasonable, for now anyway.

They always have been. There's always been a surplus of these kits out there, with all the different variants and re-releases over the years. I mostly look forward to future re-releases due to expanded decal sheets and other extra new goodies Round2 can throw our way.

Slight correction, the Nite appearance package was available in 1991 as well. The '91 is especially rare, not that the '92 version was ever exactly common.

Ray's Kits Decals does the full Nite package if the AMT sheet doesn't scratch the itch. I used those on a '92 I built some time back.

2v2aYFpSgx6Rah4.jpg.3a5ca5b0fe261299f6ead1f85447cbc0.jpg

• Like 5

And, I just watched part of the Video.

Please Round2, can we have the correct Light Truck tires Back?

Those Wide Tread, Street Meats are just wrong for that truck in so many ways, even if it is a "Performance" Truck.......

Not 1990's Tires either. They look more 1980's.

1 hour ago, Chuck Most said:

Slight correction, the Nite appearance package was available in 1991 as well. The '91 is especially rare, not that the '92 version was ever exactly common.

Ray's Kits Decals does the full Nite package if the AMT sheet doesn't scratch the itch. I used those on a '92 I built some time back.

2v2aYFpSgx6Rah4.jpg.3a5ca5b0fe261299f6ead1f85447cbc0.jpg

Very sharp, Chuck!  Thx for the inspiration...TB 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stavanzer said:

And, I just watched part of the Video.

Please Round2, can we have the correct Light Truck tires Back?

Those Wide Tread, Street Meats are just wrong for that truck in so many ways, even if it is a "Performance" Truck.......

Not 1990's Tires either. They look more 1980's.

X2 😁

Especially since so many of the new tool Round 2 tires end up sold separately as parts packs.

If I remember even the original 1992 Flareside came with those recycled late 70s MPC Goodyear tires. 

7 hours ago, Chuck Most said:

Sorry, I meant 1992 only as far as the 9th generation F-Series went. I should have been clearer. Your Nite looks great, btw. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chuck Most said:

Huh, surprised to hear that since I seem to recall seeing a lot of them in the Chicago area back when they were new.

Maybe it varied by region?

7 hours ago, av405 said:

Sorry, I meant 1992 only as far as the 9th generation F-Series went. I should have been clearer. Your Nite looks great, btw. 

Okay, it was definitely one year only in that regard. 😁 If I remember it wasn't even available the full model year.

6 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Huh, surprised to hear that since I seem to recall seeing a lot of them in the Chicago area back when they were new.

That might have been the case. I know of exactly one that prowled my location when these were new. There was a guy on the Ford-Trucks forum who used to say "I would call them more uncommon than outright rare, unless you're talking about the '91 version."

I always remember Ford advertising the package pretty heavily but almost never seeing them on the road.

4 hours ago, Chuck Most said:

Okay, it was definitely one year only in that regard. 😁 If I remember it wasn't even available the full model year.

Interesting. I wonder if they pulled the plug due to slower than expected sales. The Nite package looks much better on the 92s than the 91s.

13 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

We stained the outside of a regional Ford dealer in the summer of '92. I remember they had 2 Nights on the lot. I thought they were great looking trucks.

But full disclosure,, it was the biggest selling Ford truck dealer in my part of Canada.

17 hours ago, Chuck Most said:

If I remember even the original 1992 Flareside came with those recycled late 70s MPC Goodyear tires. 

Would you believe late '60s?

Those tires were in the MPC Lotus Turbine Indy car and the Charger III show car.

Like I've said, a fleet side long bed with a 300 is my dream. I'd settle for a long bed kit and add aftermarket 6cyl if necessary. The flareside interior is correct to duplicate my truck.  I may break down and get one from that auction website. I'll be trying my local library to print the styled steel (3d cults file, and $5 to print them) rims next week.  

My local library has a 3d printer. they help you set up the print job. I'm not sure what printer or material they use. They do limit prints to no more than 3 hrs. per print  job,

55 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Those tires were in the MPC Lotus Turbine Indy car and the Charger III show car.

Sheesh. Ertl sure loved to not tool up new tires. And even if they already had the right tire, they'd use something wrong. (Looking at you, Chevrolet Beretta GTU kit...)

• Like 1

On 6/27/2024 at 11:49 AM, Can-Con said:

Yeah, I'd believe it. Why use the right tire, when you can just throw in something that looks close......?

But, there is a thread somewhere on the forums about AMT's 1990's & 2000's Light Truck tires. Steve G. did give some answers about the LT Trucks tires, but I've forgotten the details. It may very well be, that Round2 doesn't have access (for whatever reason) to the OG LT Truck tire molds.

So, I guess I shouldn't pan them too hard. Maybe they did the best they could.

But, the tires are still poor.

1 hour ago, stavanzer said:

Yeah, I'd believe it. Why use the right tire, when you can just throw in something that looks close......?

But, there is a thread somewhere on the forums about AMT's 1990's & 2000's Light Truck tires. Steve G. did give some answers about the LT Trucks tires, but I've forgotten the details. It may very well be, that Round2 doesn't have access (for whatever reason) to the OG LT Truck tire molds.

So, I guess I shouldn't pan them too hard. Maybe they did the best they could.

But, the tires are still poor.

Wouldn't matter for the new tool OBS Chevy anyway. The wheels in the new kit scale out to about 14 inch. The new wheels would fall right through the old tires.

That's the 1/2 ton anyway, don't know about the Dooley, don't have one of those.

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2024 at 8:34 PM, Can-Con said:

Wouldn't matter for the new tool OBS Chevy anyway. The wheels in the new kit scale out to about 14 inch. The new wheels would fall right through the old tires.

That's the 1/2 ton anyway, don't know about the Dooley, don't have one of those.

The Dually tires are technically undersized like the original 1996 ones were, but aren't as distractingly obvious as on the '92.

10 minutes ago, gray07 said:

so what all comes with the nite edition

Black paint job, with color keyed grille, bumpers, mirrors and handles, and the bespoke Nite stripes and graphics. Other than that it was just a plain old everyday XLT Lariat.