Model Cars Magazine Forum

Light Show Model Photo Taking- '50s Diner Style Shots; How To Do

I learned this in Grade 11 Photography class, and I liked it a lot and so I wanted to share it with others as I thought it was real neat and I hope you'll like it. 

What I have here are photos taken in an unusual way. The photos below have not been edited in any way; this is how they came out; hard to believe, but it's truer than true. The explanation is the camera's shutter. When said shutter is left open for a period of time, it cpatures a whole lot more light. In the dark, any path of any given moving light will be captured, creating radical lines of light, in this case, resembling kinda '50s Diner-esque with the addition of model cars as the main subject. Here are a few below: (please note some cars are Die-Cast, not assembled kits, though there are some down there)

IMG_1847.JPG

IMG_1774.JPG

IMG_1877.JPG

IMG_1915.JPG

• Like 3

The lights I used to drag across in front of the camera are these little finger lights. It is very important that the photos are being taken in a dark room so no foreign light can ruin the magic. Make sure the camera is on a tripod, and it is a good idea to have the camera's image quality set on the highest level for the clearest results.

IMG_2689.JPG

• Like 2

I believe that most smart phone cameras (what majority of models use for model snapshots) and even average digital snapshot cameras do not have a "bulb" setting which allows the photographer to leave the shutter open afor as long as they want. DSLR cameras are usually needed for that feature.