Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 88 Porsche 911

This is the next kit on my bench. Doing a 48 Hr build-off on FB starting Fri, July 19 at 8 PM until Sun, July 21 at 8PM.

Going to paint it with an old bottle of Testors Manganeze Brown Metallic. I've been hanging on to this bottle for probably 15 years to do this build. I poured the paint into a bottle and mixed with thinner for the airbrush. 

I will post pics along the way during the build-off.

Later- 

20240716_182127.jpg

20240716_180634.jpg

20240716_180711.jpg

• Like 2

Not being very knowledgeable  about Porsches, How does this kit differentiate from the Revell's kit of the same car? I have noticed that on the Revell kit it says it's 1/24 scale. So are tehy pretty much identical? Also the Tamiya kit is apparently curbside, while the Revell kit has opening engine compartment and full motor. The main reason I am asking these questions is because there is a really nice 3d file for a wide body kit, which was originally designed for the Tamiya kit and I am wondering if it would work on the Revell model of the same car. 

1 hour ago, mrm said:

Not being very knowledgeable  about Porsches, How does this kit differentiate from the Revell's kit of the same car? I have noticed that on the Revell kit it says it's 1/24 scale. So are tehy pretty much identical? Also the Tamiya kit is apparently curbside, while the Revell kit has opening engine compartment and full motor. The main reason I am asking these questions is because there is a really nice 3d file for a wide body kit, which was originally designed for the Tamiya kit and I am wondering if it would work on the Revell model of the same car. 

Nothing identical whatsoever. The Tamiya kit is curbside only, based on an earlier snap kit of a 911 Speedster. Revell's latest 911 kit is a narrow-body G50 non-Turbo, full detail and really nice, the tires being the only real negative. Tamiya, Monogram, and Fujimi have made 1/24th 911 wide body Turbo kits. Fujimi's are either Enthusiast kits with full detail, or curbside. Monogram's is full detail. All should be close enough to work w/3D printed bodywork which itself is a lot of fitment work regardless of the body you start with. You have lots of options. 

Edited by Zoom Zoom

3 hours ago, Zoom Zoom said:

Nothing identical whatsoever. The Tamiya kit is curbside only, based on an earlier snap kit of a 911 Speedster. Revell's latest 911 kit is a narrow-body G50 non-Turbo, full detail and really nice, the tires being the only real negative. Tamiya, Monogram, and Fujimi have made 1/24th 911 wide body Turbo kits. Fujimi's are either Enthusiast kits with full detail, or curbside. Monogram's is full detail. All should be close enough to work w/3D printed bodywork which itself is a lot of fitment work regardless of the body you start with. You have lots of options. 

Maybe I didn't phrase my question properly. I fully understand the kits are completely different. The level of detail is of no concern to me. To make the 3D parts work, I will need to cut out the front and rear bumpers, the skirts and good portion of the rear fenders. My question was how the two kits' bodies compared as far as dimensions and proportions. Because, hypothetically if they are the same scale and representing the same car, they should be identical, save for the elements that I would be cutting off anyway. 

As far as options go, I can get the newest Revell Porsche from the Hobby Lobby which is literally next door to my current job site for something like $20 and start working on it tomorrow. While the situation with all other options is obviously much more complicated. 

Either way, thank you for the detailed answer. It looks like there is a 911 project in my future, which would be the third wide body Porsche out of three Porsche's ever attempted. 

A Fujimi Koenig Specials 928

b7m2.jpg

And a Fujimi Koenig Specials 911 Turbo

QAyoQ1.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/17/2024 at 5:27 PM, espo said:

One of the best-looking body configurations for the 911. 

My thoughts too.

19 hours ago, Zoom Zoom said:

Thanks for your answer. The only other kits I am familiar with are the Fujimi Enthusiast kits, of which I have a few. Glad you could answer the questions.

The build-off starts tonight. I need to do some bench cleaning an paint locating today in preparation.

Later-

4 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

My thoughts too.

Thanks for your answer. The only other kits I am familiar with are the Fujimi Enthusiast kits, of which I have a few. Glad you could answer the questions.

The build-off starts tonight. I need to do some bench cleaning an paint locating today in preparation.

Later-

Good luck with the build! It's a good kit for such a build, though when I built mine I masked all the black rubber and trim places on the body so I could airbrush it (hand painting requires steadier hands than mine), that was the worst element of building this kit.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Zoom Zoom said:

Good luck with the build! It's a good kit for such a build, though when I built mine I masked all the black rubber and trim places on the body so I could airbrush it (hand painting requires steadier hands than mine), that was the worst element of building this kit.  

Yeah, my plan is the same. Mask and spray the black. Going to have to make sure the body is dry.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

7 hrs in (3 AM) and the interior and chassis are done. Just need to install the wheels/tires. The body is in the dehydrator. Tomorrow I will tape off all of the trim and spray it satin black.

Later-

20240720_030702.jpg

20240720_030719.jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Zoom Zoom said:

Nice work! Good thing you have a dehydrator since you'll be doing all that masking.

Yeah. Unfortunately it still wasn't enough. My clearcoat wasn't cured enough and the tape stuck to it. Pulled some of the paint off in a couple of places and major bleed through in others. So much for me finishing this in 48 hrs. The body is in the stripper now and this project will get finished another day when I can let the body sit for a week and gas out.  Oh well.

Later-

20240720_073126.jpg

20240720_165312.jpg

20240720_165331.jpg

20240720_165337.jpg

• Sad 1

That's unfortunate! I wondered if the accelerated build and using enamel paint would work out, especially on this one since it requires a massive amount of masking. A group of my friends get together occasionally for 24 hour builds or weekend builds, we've discussed these Tamiya Porsche kits (Turbo & 934) and we've joked about how they seem like great subjects for such builds and the comment has been made several times that these are "The 24 Hours of Masking & Unmasking" projects. Everything else is a breeze by comparison.

Lacquers & dehydrators are almost mandatory. 

• Thanks 1