Model Cars Magazine Forum

1941 Willy's Gasser

Zippi

9 hours ago, Nitro330 said:

Looks awesome Bob!  That is a tricky kit in many ways.  You did a great job!

Thanks.  Yeah, it was a head scratcher at times for sure but I'm a happy camper with how it turned out.

1 hour ago, Maurice Henderson said:

Zippi, that color is truly a 70's gasser look..Man it's beautiful..Stance is perfect and that engine stands out..Outstanding job my friend. Btw, I notice you were in the Air Force and from Illinois? I is so, I'm retired AF and from Chicago. 

Much appreciated Maurice.  I am from Indiana.  Thank you for your service.

4 hours ago, Tony Coomer said:

Wow, sure is a looker, killer job Zippi…

Thanks Tony.  I think the K.S. Pittman decals really woke up that orange.

4 hours ago, ModelcarJR said:

Man! That looks great, Bob! Nice paint and great assembly! Yes, this kit can be a problem but no problem for you! Nice work! 😎👍

Thanks John.  Yeah, it turned out pretty nice.  I'm happy with it.

16 hours ago, ea0863 said:

Absolute beauty Bob! I love the paintjob. BTW, how did you paint the diff and air scoop? That's a real nice weathered effect you achieved.

Much obliged.  It was painted with Tamiya Matte Black.

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2024 at 2:15 PM, Scott Eriksen said:

That came out nice Zip

Thank's Scott.  It was acually a fun build.

7 hours ago, Moparman18064 said:

That looks awesome, Bob! Thoroughly enjoyed build thread

Much obliged.  Glad you liked it.  

Excellent build of a truly non-forgiving kit. Really like the overall cleanliness of the build. Just one comment about the location of the drag chute, I hope you have it tethered to something besides the trunk lid. Don't really think that piece of fiberglass would hold a 2400 lb car slowing from 150 mph. BTW: Fly High!.

On 8/13/2024 at 6:28 AM, David G. said:

Nicely done Bob!

David G.

Thank's David.  For what the kit was I'm happy with it.

16 hours ago, BK9300 said:

I like the motor detail, the paint job, the "tinned" interior and trunk space - all of it - great job!

Much obliged there Buddy.

16 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Excellent build of a truly non-forgiving kit. Really like the overall cleanliness of the build. Just one comment about the location of the drag chute, I hope you have it tethered to something besides the trunk lid. Don't really think that piece of fiberglass would hold a 2400 lb car slowing from 150 mph. BTW: Fly High!.

I do appreciate it man.  Thank's.  During my research I saw that a lot of guys were running a chute on the deck lid.  Steel body with re-inforced deck lid I assume.

IMG_6492_zpsigjsbzvb.jpg

7ae214d96ad46da711fb14c60ddd656f.jpg

d783a433259c58150ed488ba04ed8757.jpg

If you notice in both the black & white photo and on the red car the drag chute lines go down the outside of the trunk to some attachment point underneath the car, most likely to the rear frame cross member. It is more difficult to tell on the SWC car, but I believe that black line under the rear fender is actually the drag chute lines going to either the rear axle or another frame crossmember. Please don't think I am busting your chops on this issue. It is just something I have noticed on several drag builds throughout the years.

Really like this build, especially the "Olympic Circles" on the door.

Posted (edited)
On 8/14/2024 at 9:48 AM, TarheelRick said:

If you notice in both the black & white photo and on the red car the drag chute lines go down the outside of the trunk to some attachment point underneath the car, most likely to the rear frame cross member. It is more difficult to tell on the SWC car, but I believe that black line under the rear fender is actually the drag chute lines going to either the rear axle or another frame crossmember. Please don't think I am busting your chops on this issue. It is just something I have noticed on several drag builds throughout the years.

Really like this build, especially the "Olympic Circles" on the door.

👍  Sometimes we just have to use our imagination on these models.

Edited by Zippi