Model Cars Magazine Forum

Northrop's P-61 Black Widow by Revell: WIP

12 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Whoa HO HO!!!! Looky what we've got here!!! I'll be dialed into this one Dave! 

First off, you are tha frickin' MAN for taking this old kit on and then making it look as good as it does so far bud. I've seen many a builder throw this kit into the trash can by now so my hat goes off to you for sticking with this one bud. 

Secondly, (and this is conjunction with my first point) this is some master class foot work you're doing to this thing. You're correcting pretty much ALL of the issues with this troublesome kit and doing a great job of it at that. 

I'm in on this. 

My kindest thanks Joe, it's nice having one's skills and efforts recognized. ❤️ 

11 hours ago, Little Timmy said:

Nice job so far !

I seem to recall that I installed some weights under the pilots floorboards.

( I may be confusing this kit with another airplane.... glue fumes you know ... )

Thank you Tim. 

I do have some plans for adding weight, I'll have to see how it works out. Revell does provide a clear plastic stick to hold the tail up but I'd rather use weight if I can.

Thanks,

David G.

Hello Everybody!

Here's another update on Revell's P-61 Black Widow... the struggle continues :D 

I was wondering how I was going to paint the zinc chromate on the inside of the canopy frames when a brilliant thought occurred to me. The gray-green on the outside of the canopy frames needed a second coat to get good coverage so why not put that second coat under the first one? 

Remove the paint that's already on the canopies, paint the zinc chromate first, then paint the gray-green over top of the zinc chromate! The zinc chromate would show on the inside of the canopies and provide a good base for the gray-green on the outside!  Brilliant!

I can't be the first person to come up with this but it is the first time for me. ;) 

So now the green is gone.

P-61_38.jpg.591911e19f9f78c09cec8d22f0f6f09b.jpg

Here's the first coat, the zinc chromate, Tamiya XF-4 Yellow-Green. 

P-61_39.jpg.0213b0ce6500632e71f2ed4315147b69.jpg

Here is the second coat in Tamiya XF-76 Gray-Green.

P-61_40.jpg.235836367411f4274ded6fc70cf8c436.jpg

Everything still fits well enough and I think the color on the canopy frames is a good match to the rest of the plane. The zinc chromate can even be seen on the inside of the canopy frames!

P-61_41.jpg.789fc200c25664f2da8a1343825d49d3.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

• Like 1

Hello Everybody!

It's time for another update on Revell's Northrop P-61.

I'm working on getting the booms put together. The problem is that they have to be assembled before I can build them. This means placing painted, finished subassemblies into a structure that has yet to be assembled, painted and finished. Here I have the finished and painted landing gear and doors that have to go into a boom that will still need to be glued together, filed, sanded and painted.

This isn't a big problem if the larger pieces go together neatly and cleanly. These do not. There are some significant alignment problems that will need to be addressed.

P-61_42.jpg.fb77a866417beebb5dcd3ced0f4aaa2e.jpg

But not before I do a quick test fit. Yes, I know that the plane is supposed to be level. I'm working on that too.

P-61_43.jpg.a88ad7a3abaa8f2cc314af7585bdc6cc.jpg

With both of the booms knocked together, it's time to get on with fixing their issues.

P-61_44.jpg.7118eb0639e62fc5d4f899628a62674c.jpg

I'm using Silly Putty to keep paint out of and off of the areas that are already painted and finished.

P-61_45.jpg.cf821207efbe9661fbf4c5bb69630747.jpg

After a couple rounds of filling, priming and sanding, the lower section is mostly done.

P-61_46.jpg.92c30f7ee6f5f8443d6e330fb6dd9c3a.jpg

The upper section still needs a little more work.

P-61_47.jpg.350712153d87613a124e0512d4cc19f2.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment if you wish.

David G.

• Like 2

Hi David, I really don't want to be nosy but I had some thoughts about your leveling problem. So, if there is some space inside the rounded nose part and there is no detail you might want to show you can then add some of the lead shot into it. As the nose is even in front of the front wheel the weight in it will at least help to level the plane. Even when it's a little more weight than you really need it's of no harm as the weight will be supported by the front wheel and might be able to compensate for the weight of the tail part. Well, I'm not a native speaker of your language, so I hope you understand my rough English and can see which way I wanted to go. In case you don't understand what I wanted to express please don't hesitate to ask back. Hope it's of any help anyway. Keep up your fabulous work and take care, Juergen.

18 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

I've seen plenty of these aircraft get built up and you're doing a phenomenal job of bringing this one together very cleanly Dave. Good work man.

Thank you most kindly Joe.

17 hours ago, HJK said:

Hi David, I really don't want to be nosy but I had some thoughts about your leveling problem. So, if there is some space inside the rounded nose part and there is no detail you might want to show you can then add some of the lead shot into it. As the nose is even in front of the front wheel the weight in it will at least help to level the plane. Even when it's a little more weight than you really need it's of no harm as the weight will be supported by the front wheel and might be able to compensate for the weight of the tail part. Well, I'm not a native speaker of your language, so I hope you understand my rough English and can see which way I wanted to go. In case you don't understand what I wanted to express please don't hesitate to ask back. Hope it's of any help anyway. Keep up your fabulous work and take care, Juergen.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts Juergen. I have been considering the weight and balance matter throughout the build and I have a few options in mind. I've already purchased some lead shot to use somewhere in the nose of the aircraft. I have considered, as you suggest adding the weight to the nosecone which covers the radar unit. I do want to keep the radar unit and display the aircraft with the radar exposed as a point of visual interest for the diorama I'm planning.

P-61_21.jpg.65cc69bb8ef2d58a05297adb78615d53.jpg

There is some space between the cockpit and the radar unit and under the floor as well. I'm going to see how much weight I can get into those areas. It may not be enough but I'm going to try. I already filled the hollow space within the nosewheel with lead shot.  :)  Silly, I know. But doing that did bring its weight up to a little over 1 gram and every little bit helps! :D 

If I'm not able to get enough weight into the nose to balance the plane, I am prepared to make use of the clear styrene support provided in the kit. It's not an ideal option but every scale model has its compromises, doesn't it?

You have no need to worry about your English Jurgen, I had no difficulty understanding your message.

Your English is waaaaay better than my Deutsche! :D 

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts Jurgen. It was most kind of you to do so.

David G.

14 hours ago, peteski said:

How about adding some weight into the engine nacelles (right behind the engines)?  While it will not make much difference, it might just be enough for the model to stay on all 3 wheels.  Just make sure to add the weight forward of the main gear.

I'm considering that too Peter, all options are on the table. I plan adding weight in those locations if I'm unable get enough in the nose area. It should be pretty easy using the open gear bay doors.

It's too bad I can't get some depleted uranium, it's almost twice the density of lead! :D 

Thanks for your suggestions Peter, I'll certainly be considering that as an option.

David G.

• Like 1

Actually depleted uranium was used as a counterbalance weights in Boeing 747 Jumbo Jets, and for a more fun application Jim FitzGerald (founder of the NTRAK modular N scale system) build an N scale locomotive called "Cotton Brute" which used depleted uranium as weights to maximize its pulling ability.

Brute_comp.jpg

By Jim Fitzgeral from NTRak NewsletterSept/Oct 1983

The "Cotton Brute" and long trains.
The origional goal was a 500 car train based on a N&W 500 car train that ran from West Virginia to Ohio when remote control mid train helpers were first used by N&W.
The “Cotton Brute” was the star of a series of special locomotives that I built for long train tries. I did a word search for four and five letter words starting with "B". Other locomotives were Cotton Bell, Cotton Bull and Cotton Boss, all in SP / Cotton Belt scarlet and grey.
The photo of the Cotton Brute is a composite showing the complete engine in the foreground and an exploded view. The long fuel tank/frame is indeed depleted uranium. Where I worked we had made some experimental gyros of the material. Other materials were easier to precisely machine.
The top weights are machined from lead and completely fill the thin shell. The engine weighs 24 oz, 1-1/2 pounds and has a Sagami 1630 motor. The longest train with just the Cotton Brute on the head end was 560 Kadee (MicroTrains) two bay coal cars. The custom layout had 72" minimum radius curves in a folded dogbone shape.
There were 560 Kadee two bay hoppers with modified Rapido couplers used for the long train efforts.
The layout used was built just for long trains. It was single track with 6 foot minimum radius in a “dogbone” shape. There was one trailing point turnout from a siding used to set up additional strings of cars to add to the train. The modules were about 4’ long and made from 3/8” particle board.

Sorry for going a bit off-topic but it is such a cool story.

11 hours ago, Little Timmy said:

Depleted  Uranium?!?!?!?

Woa,  hold on there a minute.

This is a "Night Fighter " ...

( you wouldn't want to give away your location because your  plane  is glowing in the dark... )

:D That's funny! 

Thanks for the chuckle Tim.

9 hours ago, peteski said:

Actually depleted uranium was used as a counterbalance weights in Boeing 747 Jumbo Jets, and for a more fun application Jim FitzGerald (founder of the NTRAK modular N scale system) build an N scale locomotive called "Cotton Brute" which used depleted uranium as weights to maximize its pulling ability.

Brute_comp.jpg

By Jim Fitzgeral from NTRak NewsletterSept/Oct 1983

The "Cotton Brute" and long trains.
The origional goal was a 500 car train based on a N&W 500 car train that ran from West Virginia to Ohio when remote control mid train helpers were first used by N&W.
The “Cotton Brute” was the star of a series of special locomotives that I built for long train tries. I did a word search for four and five letter words starting with "B". Other locomotives were Cotton Bell, Cotton Bull and Cotton Boss, all in SP / Cotton Belt scarlet and grey.
The photo of the Cotton Brute is a composite showing the complete engine in the foreground and an exploded view. The long fuel tank/frame is indeed depleted uranium. Where I worked we had made some experimental gyros of the material. Other materials were easier to precisely machine.
The top weights are machined from lead and completely fill the thin shell. The engine weighs 24 oz, 1-1/2 pounds and has a Sagami 1630 motor. The longest train with just the Cotton Brute on the head end was 560 Kadee (MicroTrains) two bay coal cars. The custom layout had 72" minimum radius curves in a folded dogbone shape.
There were 560 Kadee two bay hoppers with modified Rapido couplers used for the long train efforts.
The layout used was built just for long trains. It was single track with 6 foot minimum radius in a “dogbone” shape. There was one trailing point turnout from a siding used to set up additional strings of cars to add to the train. The modules were about 4’ long and made from 3/8” particle board.

Sorry for going a bit off-topic but it is such a cool story.

That is a cool story Peter.

At 24 oz that is one heavy N-scale loco! 😮 It must have felt like a brick when in hand.

I actually did look into depleted uranium and it's currently about $35 per gram. Knowing that I need around 2 oz to balance the plane, that would be about $2000.00 worth of depleted U!

And I don't even know how to work with the stuff! 😕 

If I did buy several ounces of the stuff, I'm sure it would be delivered by an agent of whichever federal regulatory agency is most applicable.

I'll stick to lead shot, thanks :) 

-D-

Hello Everybody!

Progress, however slight is progress!

I ordered 2 pounds of lead shot. I know that I only need a couple of ounces but it was either this or 25 pounds! :D Besides, I'm sure to find other uses for it. 

P-61_48.jpg.a031ac902b4606d823feb7c4199911ae.jpg

Starting to fill the nose section with lead shot. I plan to use PVA and build up in layers, eventually filling the entire cavity.

P-61_49.jpg.bb2ca05996b937f878dac8d93b6d6381.jpg

I also started adding some panel line darkener to the wings.

P-61_50.jpg.1636e9c3090ab3c3041a726680cd201e.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.