Model Cars Magazine Forum

Engine or no engine, that is the question.

4 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

I have no problem with curbsides..lots of great subjects only available in curbside form (whether a styrene kit or resin or 3d printed resin)...some vehicles have very distinctive engines, and thus I like to have an engine in those vehicles...Ferrari V12s, Ferrari flat 12s, Ford 427s, Hemis, VW air cooled 4s, etc...

Any chance we'll ever get to see some built?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, peteski said:

Same can be said for majority of today's (luxury) pickup trucks. Even the ones which look like off-road-ready likely never see anything but asphalt.  Sure, there are some exceptions, but most are "Hey, look at me" vehicles.

I don't remember which comedian said it, but I once heard one say, "The only time most of these "off road" vehicles actually go off road is when they accidentally back through the neighbor's flower garden". :P

Pretty spot on if you ask me.

Steve

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

If the model kit doesn't have an engine I think twice about buying it...if I really really want the particular I might get it, but mostly I pass and I think I only have a couple curbside kits out of the several hundreds in my stash.
I like to detail engines and engine bays so curbside is not my medicine...even Chip Foose says the engine is the gem in the jewelry box.

Edited by Force
  • Like 1

If it has an engine, fine. If not, fine also. 

I've built a couple of my '71-'76 Impala/Caprices without the engine and I've also added engines to kits that didn't come with one.

To me, the kit itself is just the base to start from.

• Like 1

Because I enjoy building and detailing engines and engine bays, I definitely want to have one. It's not that I don't buy a model kit if it doesn't have an engine, because sometimes I also build curbsides if the subject matter is otherwise interesting. But if a kit has an engine, I'm more likely to buy AND build it.:P

I like to kitbash / modify / scratchbuild parts, too, so I've done projects where I have installed an engine and engine bay in a curbside kit, but it is a ton of extra work and because I don't have as much bench time as I'd like, it will take a long time to finish. Luckily most of the kits today are pretty good out of the box, but then again, I really enjoy building older model kits that you don't see built that often, and taking the challenge to improve them to today's level.:)

• Like 1