Model Cars Magazine Forum

What if the 1961-63 Thunderbirds looked like this?

2 hours ago, Falcon Ranchero said:

That's really interesting; I came across a '61 Thunderbird kit but never would've thought it came with all the concept ideas. I'll definitely have to pick one up next time I see one.

To be clear, the instructions are from the 1960's releases, not the modern tool 1962 of the early 2000's.  The 61 Tbirds (I don't have either convertible or Hardtop) had different custom options.

K-211 149 (8)

Thunderbird Styline Kit AMT

• Like 2

And I went down to the hobby room and pulled the AMT 62 and 64 T-Birds from the stash and just placed the custom parts on them that related to a couple of the pictures above.  First, even though a 63 is shown in the 1:1 photo with a T-Top, that option is actually in the AMT 62 T-Bird Convertible (original not modern rendition).  Then I pulled out the 64 parts and you see the fastback roof option and an all "glass" option in the same kit.  Which came first?  I don't know.

DSCF3471.JPG

DSCF3472.JPG

DSCF3474.JPG

DSCF3475.JPG

DSCF3476.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Falcon Ranchero said:

I only know of 2 third gen 'Birds in town, some grey one, and a '61 I see basically daily as it lives in the next subdivision over from our 'hood. Always left outside tryina sell for $15,000; but was left in the snow out on his front lawn for two years, and in 2021 got a flame job- it looked way cool just black.

DSCN1900.JPG

Flaming Thunder.jpg

Snow way.JPG

snowtbir.jpeg

Any other pictures of that 64 Comet Villager?

• Like 1

On 8/29/2024 at 12:38 PM, sfhess said:

There's some similarity there to the 62 full-size Buicks, and there were some GM styling proposals in the early 60s that had a similar appearance to that Thunderbird proposal.

1962 Buick Invicta Convertible Resto Mod 5.3 LS Swap NO RESERVE!!

Those wheels killed it.....😟

On 8/29/2024 at 10:35 AM, LDO said:

It looks like it has the back end of a car on the front, with headlights where taillights had been. Like an awkward custom car. 

I always thought the front of the Chrysler Turbine Car looked like the back end of a 61-63 Thunderbird.