Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mobius Models' new 1965 Dodge Coronet Two Door Sedan A990 and "Street Sleeper" - first look inside these boxes...

9 hours ago, Nicholas said:

honestly im with you on the blue kit offering,although i only have the red a-990 race version,i was under the assumption that the blue one was a stock family sedan type? while we are at it can someone educate me on the single headlights vs the dual headlights on some of these coronet cars?

The blue one is a stock family sedan.  Can do a manstreamer.  Just has the 426 wedge and larger tires.  No big deal. Those things can be changed easily.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GMP440 said:

The blue one is a stock family sedan.  Can do a manstreamer.  Just has the 426 wedge and larger tires.  No big deal. Those things can be changed easily.

Not sure why you're insisting on that after all the reviews and discussions that have already been posted.

The interior door panels in the kit with the blue car on the box art are the A-990 style, NOT correct for a factory stock Coronet 2-door sedan.  Same for the front bucket seats: factory stock would be a split bench.

The kit is meant to depict a resto-mod style street machine with A-990 style modifications (but wedge-powered).

No demerits against Moebius in my book: they've made it very clear exactly what these kits are (really the exact same formula as the Belvedere 2DS from several years ago.

Edited by Robberbaron

3 hours ago, Edsel-Dan said:

As I recall the Song, The car would Not have been an out right dragster, as the red boxart kit shows

but more like the Blue boxart kit.

Didn't she Surprise those she raced??

...they used to say that there was nobody meaner...and that she terrorized Colorado Blvd...

IMHO, this is all box art fantasy, and the gardenias are a nice touch. Based on when the song was written and first sung, LOLFP, the AMT '64 330 would be a more accurate representation of her car.

I think you wouldn't drive a red car with a lumpy idle if you want to surprise folks. I had some fun doing rolling starts against 5.7 Hemi Chargers with a lightly modded dark blue 2005 Subaru Legacy GT with a 2.5 turbo.

But it's all fun no matter how you look at it. Just don't paint your Moebius Dodge with Rustoleum. 🙂

Edited by Rodent
  • Like 3

I tried to find what I recall was a 1965-sih Southern California Dodge Dealers Advertising TV spot showing the Little Old Lady driving a "brand new Super Stock Dodge", as I thought the TV campaign was inspired by, and came after, the Jan & Dean song, and such ad pictured a 1965 A990.    

Instead, according to this source https://www.motorcities.org/story-of-the-week/2022/the-little-old-lady-from-pasadena-1960s-dodge-advertising the song came after, and in fact was inspired by, the TV campaign.  Oh well, the internet is always right, heh!  :)  TB 

Great kit! Extra parts which in turn cover/overlap the other variations.

The windows are close cut to their respective positions so time and care need to be applied for a clean installation. 

The Center caps are a bit odd ball item,  slightly taller (IMHO) in scale and gives the appearance of sticking out like a oversize mixing bowl instead of a dog dish.

Decals were a little tough to work with due to being very small for fat fingers and fuzzy eye sight. 

Overall a crisp detail kit, nothing hard to assemble and a fine addition to anyone's collection. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2024 at 4:50 AM, Luc Janssens said:

Tim,

If you happen to have a spare Polar Lights Coronet, would it be possible to check if the grille from this kit will fit the PL kit?

If so it would be a nice upgrade.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Luc...sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this...been super-busy here at the Boyd ranch and just now getting caught up. 

I never paid much attention to the Polar Lights Coronet, because even though it was a very innovative design and merchandising effort, the body treatment was just completely wrong to my eye - the shoulder below the belt line sagged as it traversed across the body side, while the real car has an ever so slightly upward arc instead.  (That '64 Polara sheet metal that carried over the the '65 Coronet was actually a very complex set of surface developments.   I know firsthand that Dave M. and his associates spent a great deal of time working on their project to accurately capture the real car's contours and dimensions.)   

But today I drug out the Polar Lights kit and took a look.  On my example the pre assembled plated grille with engraved headlamps would not release from the body.  But comparing the Moebius grille anyway, it is smaller than the PL grille, particularly in overall width, and the ends of the Moebius grille have a different contour than the PL grille opening.  To be honest, I don't see a viable way to swap the Moebius Grille into the PL body and have it look right.  I don't know in detail the future plans for this Moebius tooling set, but myself I would wait on the possibility that they might do a showroom stock Coronet 500 hardtop spinoff at some point in the future, rather than attempt to build the Polar Lights kit in any way.  Just my view, though...

Best.///TB 

• Like 1

Guys, I am glad to see that these kits are out, especially the altered wheelbase. I do have a question and I am not trying to question anyone’s integrity here, but is the shape or curvature of the cowl, back edge of the hood and windshield and dashboard correct in shape? Or is it a little too rounded or curved ? It looks quite rounded to me.

I am just curious before I fork out a good chunk of money for this. It seems that some of the manufacturers here as of late have been having issues in this area and I can cite some examples. Thanks for all you guys keeping an eye on these things and letting people like me know when it’s up and available, thanks and have a good day 

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Luc...sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this...been super-busy here at the Boyd ranch and just now getting caught up. 

I never paid much attention to the Polar Lights Coronet, because even though it was a very innovative design and merchandising effort, the body treatment was just completely wrong to my eye - the shoulder below the belt line sagged as it traversed across the body side, while the real car has an ever so slightly upward arc instead.  (That '64 Polara sheet metal that carried over the the '65 Coronet was actually a very complex set of surface developments.   I know firsthand that Dave M. and his associates spent a great deal of time working on their project to accurately capture the real car's contours and dimensions.)   

But today I drug out the Polar Lights kit and took a look.  On my example the pre assembled plated grille with engraved headlamps would not release from the body.  But comparing the Moebius grille anyway, it is smaller than the PL grille, particularly in overall width, and the ends of the Moebius grille have a different contour than the PL grille opening.  To be honest, I don't see a viable way to swap the Moebius Grille into the PL body and have it look right.  I don't know in detail the future plans for this Moebius tooling set, but myself I would wait on the possibility that they might do a showroom stock Coronet 500 hardtop spinoff at some point in the future, rather than attempt to build the Polar Lights kit in any way.  Just my view, though...

Best.///TB 

Thanks for the heads-up Tim. I appreciate it.

And yes who knows what the future might bring.

Cheers

Luc

To be honest, I don't see a viable way to swap the Moebius Grille into the PL body and have it look right.

Ah, now you've done, I accept that challenge!

The chrome headlights were the biggest let down on this when it first came out.

LOL

DSCN5547.JPG

• Like 1

During a Friday visit to my most revered model car shop (Model Cave in Ypsilanti, MI), co-owner John told me that the Moebius Coronet kits have been flying off the shelf at his store, all three in demand but especially so the A990 kit. 

SE Michigan is an unusual automotive market (because of the presence of the automotive industry, which impacts the model car world too), so I wouldn't necessarily suggest that what does on here is indicative of the rest of the country, and certainly not the world (although John's top sellers there are the Gundam kits!).  Still, really good news for our friends at Moebius....TB 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, tim boyd said:

During a Friday visit to my most revered model car shop (Model Cave in Ypsilanti, MI), co-owner John told me that the Moebius Coronet kits have been flying off the shelf at his store, all three in demand but especially so the A990 kit. 

SE Michigan is an unusual automotive market (because of the presence of the automotive industry, which impacts the model car world too), so I wouldn't necessarily suggest that what does on here is indicative of the rest of the country, and certainly not the world (although John's top sellers there are the Gundam kits!).  Still, really good news for our friends at Moebius....TB 

Anecdotally based on one local shop's inventory the one Moebius kit they've actually sold out of...is the Mercury P/U. 🤣

This whole topic of which kits are hot is so subjective and non-factual when it is based on just a few stores in different geographic areas...and I want everyone to know that up front (as I suspect James does too).  But store owner John implied that he had sold cases and cases of both kits, and was especially really short of the A990s vs. his market's demand for that kit.  But still... (smile).   

James, very interesting, and glad to hear, that the Mercury M100 is a top seller in your woods...I would have never guessed that.  I suppose I better grab one too  before they disappear...TB  

• Like 1

On 9/17/2024 at 7:13 AM, tim boyd said:

I tried to find what I recall was a 1965-sih Southern California Dodge Dealers Advertising TV spot showing the Little Old Lady driving a "brand new Super Stock Dodge", as I thought the TV campaign was inspired by, and came after, the Jan & Dean song, and such ad pictured a 1965 A990.    

Instead, according to this source https://www.motorcities.org/story-of-the-week/2022/the-little-old-lady-from-pasadena-1960s-dodge-advertising the song came after, and in fact was inspired by, the TV campaign.  Oh well, the internet is always right, heh!  :)  TB 

Fun info

• Like 1