Model Cars Magazine Forum

1939 Chevy Sedan Delivery

ModelcarJR

I saw this at Hobby Lobby and picked it up as couple of weeks ago. I started it last night and today I made some headway. I started by removing the mold lines on both rear corners and decided to use some teardrop taillights (see next paragraph) so I filled the notch for the single taillight on the left side with some putty and sanded it out. I am two-toning the exterior with Krylon Satin Ivory ( my last since they are not manufacturing it anymore) and Dupli-Color Dark Toreador Metallic. Its a whisky delivery truck so a redish brown color seems appropriate. Trouble is I ordered the Dupli-color from an e-tailer because I can get it much cheaper than an auto parts store even with the delivery charge. So I have to wait for the paint and its suppose to rain all week due to some disturbance in the Gulf so I may be stymied this week. 

Anyway, my wife tells me I need to clean up my modeling mancave, so I agreed to work on it at least an hour each day. I started by trying to sort out some of my extra parts that I have stored in a four-drawer chest to make more room for stuff. As I am going through parts that I have bagged by model I have built so I can tell where the parts came from. I found what looks like tear-drop taillights, two sets, in bags for a 55 Chevy convertible with the continental kit (see second photo). I don't know if these were just on the parts tree and left there because I don't think they could be used for anything for a 55 Chevy and I couldn't find them in the instructions. They are marked as parts no. 68 on the tree.  But they will do fine for taillights for some street rod builds. 

Finally, I have some other parts painted and others still to paint, including the whiskey barrels. I will have to find some dark brown paint for them. Thanks for looking! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwChrkLkKz7o5pbBFsDAY2JUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1725841053

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFxVzBrp4eQRXlIrznp9iPZbUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1725841052

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFyBH6xFR6TGAwbvfdy2fetM5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1725841052

• Like 4

Looks like a good start to me. The taillights are pretty cool touch.

I've built this. The hinges on the backdoor are kinda a pain... I just glued mine shut since I didn't do much to the inside anyway.

All in all it's a decent kit and looks awesome when done up right. I'm sure yours is going to be just that.

Like the way your delivery start is looking. A suggestion on your parts storage. I picked up some clear Z-Lock type storage bags at a local health foods store. They are designed for storing pills and come in a few different sizes starting at 2" by 3" on up. They have an area on one side where you can write in what they are and where they're from. 

Thanks, Jeremy, Bob, David, and Gregory!  I appreciate your comments! Thanks, David. My storage problem is not the bags as my wife has every zip lock known to man. My problem is I have too much stuff! 

Well, with a hurricane developing in the Gulf, even though it is forecast to go into Louisiana, we are still going to get a lot of rain. So I couldn't wait for my paint to get here and went out and bought a can of Krylon Short Cuts Expresso (dark brown). Beautiful day for painting today with humidity about 40 percent so the paint came out pretty good! The last can of Short Cuts I got was horrible but this one is great! A Nice gloss brown finish. So once I rub this out it will be ready to build. Everything else is also painted. Should keep me busy in the rain! Thanks for looking! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFzFfiOc03bM-me_JobaBwWDqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1725928490

• Like 2

Thanks, Wes, Bob, Jeremy and Carl! I appreciate your comments! 

I haven't posted in a few days but have been busy with other things in addition to work on this project. I rubbed out the paint and had to re-paint one side of the brown but I didn't want to clear it because the humidity was too high and I didn't want the blush or fog on the clear. So I let it sit for a couple of days and then rubbed it out a bit with some polish and it looks fine. While waiting on the paint, I assembled the engine. I didn't want to use the high-rise manifold with carbs sitting on top. It also had a magneto. So I found a cross-ram intake with a couple of lumps for carbs in extra parts and an air cleaner to cover both. I then used a pre-wired distributor and will hang the coil on the firewall later. I also made a bracket from a piece of strip styrene for the alternator. 

Once the paint was dry on the body, I finished rubbing it out. I didn't clear the fender unit either, as I thought it looked good enough without it and so I didn't touch it for a couple of days either. I then foiled and and used a king size sharpie around the windows to trim them. Also trimmed the sides of the hood with foil. Finally, I cut some red decals that I had in the decal stash in strips to serve as a paint divider between the two color. Although the tape line was ok, a red divider always works for me and makes it a little cleaner. That's it for now. Thanks for looking! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFxstdHz604aefoMk2UDz5xz4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1726191992

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFxCwwh7lJM0CAGtX-MABOcRqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1726191990

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwRlKUlCHZO_1q087bapg5DaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1726191989

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwk7VXamBIP3-Vg_Jp9-jTTKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1726191988

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFydODJNBulEK1P3qov9XK97rnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1726191986

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFySS6x9n0xfvsrsl5mSCrpi5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1726191986

• Like 5

Thanks, Sonny! I appreciate your comment! 

This is a mock-up on wheels. The rear door is hinged and working, Windows are and interior are in and now I just have to finish a couple of barrels, glue everything together and mount all the hardware and it will be done! Thanks for looking! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFy_kuFMpQ5Coe4dcRkUGfdtKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1726277492

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwF2IiGjU3juy-f9P6JjKc9Kwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1726277490

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFzbFSAW6bDyApP55Ig1lvozUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1726277490

• Like 2

Thanks, Jim! I appreciate your comment! 

This one is done! Rear door works and I used some handi-tak for the barrels in the back. I added a brake master cyl. and booster from the parts box to stop this 427 and hung a coil on the firewall. Battery must be in the back. Everything fit well. I left off the fog lights on the front bumper and the eye shade as I didn't like the look. Thanks for looking and final photos in the "Under Glass" section. 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFymqh-ppWmlHra8MGr_v93X5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1726430790

• Like 6