Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 2023 Ford Bronco Outer Banks

38 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Are the wheels/tires different from the other Bronco Kit?

Yes, they are on-road A/T tires with a different tread design and 18" Machined style wheels.  Other changes are the molded front bumper with fog lamps, lower front tow hooks, front lower shield, body color style fender flares, wide slot grille and optional running boards. 

-Steve  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SteveG said:

Yes, they are on-road A/T tires with a different tread design and 18" Machined style wheels.  Other changes are the molded front bumper with fog lamps, lower front tow hooks, front lower shield, body color style fender flares, wide slot grille and optional running boards. 

-Steve  

So I know that there's the Heritage edition and the Everglades editions that use different fenders and flares to the regular Broncos (not to mention the Raptor, but that's a 4-door). Are there plans in the works to mold different bodies, or are the future kits going to all be based off the current body?

Outer Banks without the Sasquatch package? Eww.

So the Outer Banks is the "luxury" trim, but without the Sasquatch package, it's ugly. And it looks like AMT got the details right. The wheels are tires are a street-based AT tire. Sounds like an oxymoron, but here we are. The bumper is like a Jeep Wrangler...plastic cover over a steel bar. 

It's a popular package though. A lot of people like that it comes with the painted flares. And those flares are smaller than the ones we see on Badlands or Wildtrak trim levels, as seen in the original AMT Bronco kit. It does come with the nicer leather interior, which I think is why it's so popular.

5 hours ago, Jordan White said:

So I know that there's the Heritage edition and the Everglades editions that use different fenders and flares to the regular Broncos (not to mention the Raptor, but that's a 4-door). Are there plans in the works to mold different bodies, or are the future kits going to all be based off the current body?

All the current tooling is based around the 2 Door body platform, although we have do have some of the 3D files to do the 4-door version if we so choose.  

The original kit design work started before well the first real new Bronco was on the showroom floor, not knowing that some of the later models would be exclusive to the 4-door platform.  The 2 Door was chosen because it best resembled the Classic '60's Bronco, and that the harder core off-road enthusiasts would pick it for its better agility. 

-Steve

Edited by SteveG
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Zen said:

Sure wish they would do 4 door, there are so many more of those out on the road than 2 door models.

A little off topic, but I saw a newer 2 door Wrangler the other week and I totally forgot they also came that way.  It looked weird to me 😅

7 hours ago, SteveG said:

All the current tooling is based around the 2 Door body platform, although we have do have some of the 3D files to do the 4-door version if we so choose.  

The original kit design work started before well the first real new Bronco was on the showroom floor, not knowing that some of the later models would be exclusive to the 4-door platform.  The 2 Door was chosen because it best resembled the Classic '60's Bronco, and that the harder core off-road enthusiasts would pick it for its better agility. 

-Steve

I believe that almost of us here thoroughly respect Steve and take what he says at full face value, but for any who might not do so, just let me confirm his statement that Round 2 consideration and subsequent work on this project began well before the 1/1 scale Bronco program content was publicly finalized. 

Also, FWIW, I do not recall being specifically asked about the 2-door vs. 4-soor decision, but had I been I would have strongly voted for the two-door both from my perspective as a 35-year auto industry marketing/sales/product/design veteran, my experience as a modeler since the 1960s and as an observer of the model car kit business since the mid 1970s.   

I suspect that some of us see this 2-door vs. 4-door question very differently than I do, and I acknowledge and respect those views as well.

Best...TB 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 2