Model Cars Magazine Forum

'50 Ford F1 Mild Custom

Fletch

Well it's finally finished. It only took from November last years but it's finished. As much trouble the build gave me it's lucky it didn't get the spaghetti test. You know the one where you throw it up against the wall and if it sticks it's done.

So, here it is the '50 Ford F1 Mild Custom:

IMG_0486-vi.jpg

IMG_0489-vi.jpg

IMG_0491-vi.jpg

IMG_0499-vi.jpg

IMG_0505-vi.jpg

IMG_0507-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Thank you every one for your encouragement and kind words throughout the build.

Well it's finally finished. It only took from November last years but it's finished. As much trouble the build gave me it's lucky it didn't get the spaghetti test. You know the one where you throw it up against the wall and if it sticks it's done.

So, here it is the '50 Ford F1 Mild Custom:

IMG_0486-vi.jpg

IMG_0489-vi.jpg

IMG_0491-vi.jpg

IMG_0499-vi.jpg

IMG_0505-vi.jpg

IMG_0507-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Thank you every one for your encouragement and kind words throughout the build.

THIS BUILD CAM E OUT VERY CLEAN ! SIMPLE ! VERY GOOD JOB !

I must say, a beautiful build. What parts of the build gave you trouble and what do you attribute it to? Just curious if it is things to look out for in the build. Anywho... Great job.

Later-

The biggest problem throughout the build came from paint. The Testor's One Coat didn't like the Pacific Northwest humidity. Requiring a brief stay in the Purple Pond. Repainting with HoK Snowwhite Pearl turned out to be a better choice. Even though there were a couple of edges where the paint still bubbled up. I don't know if there was still a bit of CSC that didn't get washed out but it only showed up after the base coat was applied not the primer.

The bed mounted exhaust pipes were a bit of a challenge. In order to get the 90 degree bends in the tubing a solid piece of brass wire was inserted in the tubing. There were times when the wire slipped and the tubing collapsed.

The kit itself was never a problem, it was a few little thing around the build that stretched me to my limits at times. BUt, the results were well worth it.

Thank you all for your kind words.

Hey Dave, your F-1 pickup turned out so awesome! I think the proportions are just right and the customizing isn't over done. It's also sweet you chose a T-Bird engine, definately the road less traveled.

I'm quite partial to these trucks since my Dad owned two '50s. The first one had been kinda butchered as the previous person had installed a 302/C4 and you could say they lacked finess. In the end the truck wasn't "good enough" so he sold it and found a completely original, low miles, never wrecked truck to replace it. It's only downfall was that it had an I-6. He acquired a good 302/C4 that he wanted to install but never could bring himself to because the truck was too nice to mess with, which is ultimately why he sold it.

Both his '50s were early production that still had the character buldges in the bed sides like '48/'49, which I think looks better than the later flat sides like the bed in the Revell kit.

I wonder if one of the resin companies makes a panel truck body to fit the Revell kit? Those are sweet too. He had a '48 but it was just passing through as he bought it right and flipped it a couple months later for a good profit.

I wonder if one of the resin companies makes a panel truck body to fit the Revell kit? Those are sweet too.

Dennis, there have been several resin casters over the years that have offered a '48-50 Panel Delivery. It's one I have never bought but think about it often, just other projects take the hobby dollars before a body can be procured. A quick search of Rocketfin Hobbies turned up two from resin casters, one that I don't think is in business any longer and one that is. Here are the links to the pages:

All American

http://www.rocketfin.com/resin_product.cfm?id=2286

Mason City Miniatures

http://www.resinrealm.net/-MCM/TRUCKS/50Fo...elDelivery.html

Also, SJS (no longer in business) had a '48 Mercury Panel Delivery:

http://www.rocketfin.com/resin_product.cfm?id=2288

The All American and SJS pieces turn up from time to time on ebay and at swap meets, they're out there if you truly want one.

Hey Dave, thanks for those links! It looks like both of the Ford bodies are the same part. Maybe Mason City picked up the production from all American. That Mercury body is kinda sad looking. Looks like one would have to spend a lot of time detailing it to make it presentable.