Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Firebird WIP

Modlbldr

Hey Guys-

I just wanted to touch bases real quick. I have gotten quite a bit of work done on this thing in the last few weeks and I hope to get some updated photos posted in the next few days.

I have most of the interior done. I just need to BMF the interior door handles and window rollers.

I have the wheels and tires together. The chassis is complete with the exception of the drive shaft. The grille is detailed with the exception of the headlights needing glued in. I can't wait to get some photos posted. Hopefully by tomorrow night. Check back and see.

Later-

OK guys-

I've been working on this off and on for the past couple of days and I have some new photos to post. The interior is now complete. Here it is-68FirebirdWIP055.jpg

68FirebirdWIP059.jpg

68FirebirdWIP060.jpg

I'm really happy with the way it turned out. I sanded the chrome off of the shifter knob to make it look like a white Hurst shifter. Then I used the XActo knife to cut the shift pattern into it and black washed it.

More photos to come.

Later-

Here are some more.68FirebirdWIP063.jpg

68FirebirdWIP066.jpg

I also installed the driveshaft and installed the wheels but one isn't touching the ground. It looks as if my chassis is twisted a bit. It should straighten out once I glue the body in place. If not, I'll deal with it then. Next is to finish the firewall details and decal the body.

I hope you enjoy it and I welcome any comments, questions or criticisms.

Later-

Hey guys-

Thanks for the nice comments. I am really enjoying this build and am having a hard time wanting to do anything but work on it.

I got the decals on today along with some other minor work. The good thing is that I also took photos today. So, here they are.

68FirebirdWIP071.jpg

68FirebirdWIP072.jpg

68FirebirdWIP073.jpg

More photos to come.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Here is another set:

68FirebirdWIP075.jpg

68FirebirdWIP076.jpg

68FirebirdWIP077.jpg

I had a little run in with a 1/25 scale shopping cart that put a ding in my passenger door. Fortunately it was covered perfectly by the decal. I am happy about that because up to then the paint had been my best to date and I didn't want it scarred up.

Two more photos to come.

Later-

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that I would update you guys on the progress. My wife and daughter have been out of town for a couple of days and aren't supposed to be back for a couple more, so I've gotten a little work done on the Bird.

I got the engine bay parts that are molded to the body painted semi-flat black. I also painted the headliner light ivory, same as the door panels. Tonight I have been BMFing the body and I still have a bit of that to go. I should be able to finish the BMF tomorrow.

Later-

Janne- Personally I have always loved the Firebirds of this era and this has been a beautiful kit to build. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

JayC- I love the color and it has only gotten better to me with the addition of the decals. Thanks for the kind words.

I haven't gotten the BMF finished as of yet. My wife and daughter came home early.

Later-

Janne-

Yes, the kit comes with three color choices- White, Black or Red stripes. Pick it up. I don't think you'll be disappointed. The only negative thing I have heard about it is that the stock tires and wheels don't fit together well. The tires and wheels I used are from the 32 Ford Speedwagon kit. They are also the same as in the Revell 32 Ford 3 window kit.

Later-

• 1 month later...

I spent most of Oct working away from home and I finally got back to the bench the other night and finished up the BMF job on the kit. It turned out pretty good and I am satisfied. I did manage to put a big scratch in the passenger front fender with an XActo blade while trimming the wheelwell chrome. So I have been soliciting suggestions in how to repair it and I think that I have finally settled on a way. I hope to get it repaired this week and perhaps get it finished too. Keep looking in and I promise to have some photos within the next few days.

Later-

I spent most of Oct working away from home and I finally got back to the bench the other night and finished up the BMF job on the kit. It turned out pretty good and I am satisfied. I did manage to put a big scratch in the passenger front fender with an XActo blade while trimming the wheelwell chrome. So I have been soliciting suggestions in how to repair it and I think that I have finally settled on a way. I hope to get it repaired this week and perhaps get it finished too. Keep looking in and I promise to have some photos within the next few days.

Later-

Sounds good to me Tom. :D

I took a 2400 grit sanding pad to the scratch this afternoon and, although I could still see the scratch once I called it good, I was afraid that I would sand through the paint. Then I resprayed the whole thing with another coat of clear. I'm not sure if the scratch is gone because I was afraid to touch it until it dries. Either way, I'm calling it good.

Next I painted the sun visors on the glass and glued the rear view mirror on.

Right now I am waiting for the clear coat to dry so that I can do my final assembly and photos. Hopefully I will be ably to do these tonight.

Later-

I took a 2400 grit sanding pad to the scratch this afternoon and, although I could still see the scratch once I called it good, I was afraid that I would sand through the paint. Then I resprayed the whole thing with another coat of clear. I'm not sure if the scratch is gone because I was afraid to touch it until it dries. Either way, I'm calling it good.

Next I painted the sun visors on the glass and glued the rear view mirror on.

Right now I am waiting for the clear coat to dry so that I can do my final assembly and photos. Hopefully I will be ably to do these tonight.

Later-

I hope so too Tom, I'm looking forward to seeing it done.

I unofficially finished the build last night. I say unofficially because as I was finishing it up I got a drop of Superglue on the paint. Also the coat of clear that I put on yesterday morning wasn't completely dry. As I was working on it last night the clear coat on the roof got marred. Neither one is highly noticeable, but I'll have to fix them before I'll be happy.

So now the plan is to take photos of it tomorrow and put them on here. Then I can fix it while I have time.

The body was a real bear to get on the chassis. That has been the only difficult part of this build.

Pictures tomorrow.

Later-